Team Yankee (mid 80's US and Russkie Army)

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Team Yankee (mid 80's US and Russkie Army)

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:That kit would work perfect. Just leave off the Red Cross markings and the external fuel cells on the rear, if they can be left off as an option. Those didn’t really show up until the 90’s.
That's cool then - that'll be the next one on the list!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yeah, I knew about S&S models; all their models are resin and/or white metal. Not my cup of tea. When I mentioned not in production; I was referring to injection molded plastic kits.

And since you asked for pics, here they are.

My M-1 Abrams:

Yes, it is painted in the late three-tone camouflage. I built this as a kid and liked the three-tone better so I did that. As I recall, this is the old ESCI kit
M-113's First is the basic APC, the second is the 1A1 version:

The first is ESCI:

The second is Trumpeter:

Next is the M-2 Bradley scout vehicle: this is the Revell kit

Even though I think they mention M-109's in passing, here are my two pics of M-109's. The first is the M-109 A-nothing (Vietnam era) and the second one is the M-109-A2. The first is Revell, the second one is Riich Models:

I don't know if they mentioned BRDM's in the book, but here is mine. It is a scout vehicle typically used by the Russians. This is the ACE kit:

Here is the T-55 they mention when the Poles attack: this is a Russian tank from PST:

ACE and Trumpeter also makes T-55's, Trumpeter is the easier kit to build.

Bannon also encountered T-62 tanks. This is my ESCI T-62 done in Egyptian markings, but he fought Russian ones: Apparently I haven't got pics of my Russian T-62:

ACE also makes T-62's which are a bit more accurate and detailed but they are rough kits. I'm not sure but Trumpeter may make T-62's as well.

Finally the cream of the Russian forces at the time, the T-72. This is the ACE kit:

Modelcollect also makes T-72's much better than ACE, be sure to get the 1980's mod.

Followed by the ACE BMP-1:

Not sure if any other company does the BMP-1. ACE's kit is extremely rough and difficult to build; however they have re-released it using their new "digital design" so it's supposed to be easier and more detailed. I haven't done one of those yet.

Finally since you also mentioned getting an Mi-24 Hind, here is mine. This is a Hind D from Italeri:

There, that is all the models of the vehicles mentioned in "Team Yankee" that I can show. I hope these help you envision your own collection.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for posting those up Mark, I really appreciate it - those are some good looking models. :shoutout:

It's nice to know that all of these are easily gettable - I'm looking forward to building up a collection. I've ordered the M-577 from S&S, I'll let you know what it looks like.

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Excellent Stuart and you're welcome. I have to say I'm curious about the M-577. Still, I don't expect to get one. I'll continue to look into trying a kitbash and mod with sheet styrene and Dan Taylor Modelworks parts...
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That would be worth seeing!

I'll post up some photo's when I get it!

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

So I've not made much progress on the M1, as there's been a lot going on in real-life and I've been a been a bit distracted by these two - The Matchbox Kiowa and the S&S models M-577 Command Post.

The M-577 is a soild resin model, with the tracks as seperate parts. I'll take some more pics but all I've done here is tidy up the flash, glued on the tracks and primed it with two coats of ultimate primer.

Man this is a rough moulding though, definitely aimed at wargamers than modellers - it's full of pin holes and the tracks, asides from being slightly too long, have big chunks missing out of them! That being said, I'm actually quite fond of it and it's pretty damn good for less than a tenner, and hey - it's a 1/72 M-577!

I've got a fair bit of pin hole filling to do, and then its onto paint. I have some Vallejo Forest Green that should do. As for the damaged tracks - I've decided the easiest thing to do is just cover it with mud!

All in all I think I might get some more from S&S. it's nice to do a minimal bit of assembly and them get stuck into paint.

Cheers!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking good Stuart, life interfering or not. Where are the missing track links on the M577? Does the kit offer the track shrouds option? (the rubber side skirts used for swimming that conceal the upper track run) If so, you could mask the missing links behind those.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Hi Carlos!

Alas no, it doesn't have the shroud option, although I might be able to SB them. It's not so much that it has missing links, but bits of the links missing - see below. I'm thinking the easiest way would be to cover it with 'mud'!

There are also a lot of holes on the hull - I'll fill these before paint.

I might well mount this on a small base as well.

Cheers!

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Well the Kiowa is finished...

And the M577 is coming along. I've mounted it on an old DVD covered in Acrylic medium. This gives me an excuse to cover the poorly moulded tracks in :quotes: mud :quotes:

Cheers!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

As soon as a vehicle leaves the motor pool area in Germany, shortly thereafter the running gear is usually covered in mud… :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”