Another Dora... Big Tail 500647 "Brown 4"

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
jkim
Elite Member

Another Dora... Big Tail 500647 "Brown 4"

Post by jkim »

I wanted to report on some investigative research that I've been conducting on a future subject. Focke-Wulf 190D-9 WNr 500647 is one of two documented D-9's to have been retrofitted with the tail of the Ta152H. It is interesting from that perspective and I am going to be building this aircraft as a future build.

There are not many photos of 500647. In Jerry Crandall's Dora Volume 1, a photo is featured of Brown 4 looking somewhat decrepit/damaged parked within a revetment in the woods without a prop or engine cowling.

This photo of the port side of the aircraft leads to a speculative color profile featuring a camo pattern similar to other 500xxx machines produced at the Mimetall factory. Note the shape of the "4".

In Dora Volume 2, there is an addendum to 500647 based on a more recently discovered photograph showing Brown 4's starboard side with a clear view of the "4" marking.

There is a revised profile based on this new photo and the style of the "4" was changed to feature a curve that is seen in the photo.

I've always had an issue with this assessment since there is a curvature in the fuselage cross section that could be distorting the "4", similarly to what is seen happening to the fuselage cross. Since I have several Dora kits in hand and can created custom painting masks with my Silhouette Portrait cutter, I thought it would be an easy and interesting experiment to see if my doubts had any teeth.

I created a mask based on the "4" marking found on the Eagle Cal decal sheet EC32-126. But I replaced the curved element with a straight one.

This was sprayed onto the starboard side of an unbuilt Hasegawa 190D-9 fuselage.

I then photographed the marking at an angle that approximates the archive photo. It is immediately apparent that curvature of fuselage could very well make the straight "4" look curved.

For further confirmation, I composited the two images in Photoshop and used transparency to see that two "4" markings are almost exact matches.

Since comparing photos like this can be tricky, I don't consider this a fool-proof analysis but it is enough for me to believe that the "4" marking on Brown 4 did NOT have curvature.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Re: Another Dora... Big Tail 500647 "Brown 4"

Post by Stikpusher »

Brown 4 looks like she has seen better days. I’m looking forward to what you do with this one.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

You are absolutely right about the “4.” I loved watching that proof happen! Excellent investigative work, John. Excellent!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Great investigative work or would this be considered more forensic? Either way I'm really impressed how you went about finding the truth the angle of the photo causes the curved look of the four.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It’s amazing how it looks straight straight on then curved in another angle. Great detective work, John!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Pretty simple test actually! I would've thought that Mr. Crandall would've performed something similar before jumping to the conclusion that the 4 was curved.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very interesting. :hmm:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Future Builds”