Yellow Wings

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
Stikpusher

Yellow Wings

Post by Stikpusher »

I’ve been wanting to build a few Between the Wars/Yellow Wings subjects, like Lyle and his Golden Era racers of the same time period. So I have been buying some new kits, decals, and looking at what’s in my stash. These two are gonna be among my first, with the F2A leading off…

First I need to finish up a tank for a IPMS GB…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Re: Yellow Wings

Post by LyleW »

Good ones!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Yes, please. Following.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Carlos... how about you hosting a Group Build on Yellow Wings? I’ve got one started and stalled. And I do have a Stearman in my stash. :whistle:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

Good idea, Carlos. That sounds like a good reason to finish up my F4B4.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Cool, I really like between wars subjects!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Great choices. I did the Tamiya Buffalo a while back - just have to watch for the glass bottom fit otherwise fun. I'd join a yellow wings GB if you start in February :giggles: Don't think I've ever built one. I like the F3F a lot.
Be sure to make that Buffalo canopy clean - lots of glass there. BTW - love the wingy thing interest!
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm: A between the wars GB? That sounds like a fun idea… :whistle: Say starting in July?

I just won an auction on eBay, so I have a couple Army Yellow Wings kits inbound…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I'd be in for for YWGB.

The canopy on the Buffalo has a million individual panes, but what makes it a real pain is all the gussets in the corners of the framing. And that bottom window i busy with framing as well. The kit I built had masks for the bottom but they were just marked, not cut. Bait and switch!

A long time ago I started a Monogram F4F to make an early F4F-3, and then the Tamiya kit came out while I was building it so I got one of those and used goodies from it to finish the Monogram kit. It was really hard to find references for the wing panel lines, but then soon after I had it done they started fishing -3's out of Lake Michigan. References are plentiful now.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Greg
Advanced Member
Location: Indiana - We're not just about corn fields (just mostly)

Post by Greg »

Looks like a good project, Stik. I do hope you post your WIP.

John, I've been wanting to build the Tamiya F4F-4 and try to match the paint job on the F4F on display at O'Hare Airport (in honor of Butch O'Hare) as close as I could (even though I don't think the one on display is an dash-4....I'm not that particular).

That said, your yellow wing version has me rethinking, it's very nice.

Return to “Future Builds”