mostrich's workshop

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
mostrich
Admin

mostrich's workshop

Post by mostrich »

Some of you guys opened a production thread for showing your work on different projects. I really like that format, cause it's so suitable for a modeler with a short attention span like I am.

So what happend in the first quarter of 2020? Finished two models, of which one was 98% completed by New Year's Eve - Revell's Dodge Challenger SRT8. It got it's final touches during the first week.

Right after that I got back on a shelfed project. The Aggregat 4 was completely assembled and primed when I left it. I dusted it and gave it the paint job and weathering it'd to wait for so long.

Since then I stray between different projects. A few weeks ago the gorgeous 3d printed parts by falcon3dparts for my Revell Star Destroyer. Also got me the lighting set and meters of fiber optics. On a rainy evening I cut out the kit's hangar bay to make space for the printed one.

The details of the printed part are finer and also closer to the studio model. The two hangar gates are open to the back and can be illuminated. All holes for the fiber optics are prepared, too.

Next and running project is Takom's Jagdtiger from their Blitz line. That means it's easy to assemble and has a reasonable number of parts. I bought this kit a few months ago because one of the options in the kit depicts a vehicle that was abandoned at the end of the war in a litte town called Neustadt an der Weinstraße (Newtown at the wine street). A big part of my mothers family lives there. Knowing that Easter is near I cracked the box open and jumped right at it.

The rear doors are clever enineered and moveable. I substituted the handles with copper wire because the plastic parts had two gates per part. But in general that's not an issue with this kit.

Details are good, building the jack was a fiddly task. Some parting lines on the smaller parts and ejection pin marks are a small letdown. The EPM you see in the picture is still there because hard to see later and I'm lazy.

To give you an idea of the size. With the gun attached it'll be about a foot long from exhaust to nozzle break.

Stay tuned for more random stuff.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: mostrich's workshop of 2020

Post by KSaarni »

Very interesting !

I do also like this concept!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

There’s some great stuff going on here! I’m really liking the Jagdtiger... but the 3-D stuff for the Star Destroyer is pretty cool too!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I’m liking the Jagdtiger. It’s one of type of tanks I’ve always wanted to do.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Torben this is awesome to see. I like this format as well because I can follow so many of your projects without jumping all over the Forums to find them. Everything looks fantastic! Keep them coming man!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Norman
Advanced Member

Post by Norman »

Nice projects for the next months! The Jagdtiger is a nice kit, I got two of them and waiting for the Porsche production of the Jagdtiger.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looks great!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I wanna see the Star Destroyer!!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I will stick with what I know here. Is that the Revell / Zvezda 1:2700 Star Destroyer? The new piece looks phenomenal!!! More please, like Mike wrote!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thank you guys! Yes, it's the SD by Zvezda bought in the Revell box. Will give you some more of that when time comes, but at the moment I'm pushing really hard on the Jagdtiger build.
The kit comes with two jigs for the track assembly. There are three straight segments per track to speed up the work, but still much of the length is made of single segments. Also each segment had four gates that needed cleanup. So in the end it took most of the weekend's bench time to finish them.

The mighty main gun was a two piece plastic affair. I glued the pieces together and cut the barrel off right before the bracket. The hollow bracket was closed with sheet plastic to give the aluminum replacement barrel enough suface to be glued on. It's a butt joint so I used 2K epoxy to secure the fit.

Lots and lots of tiny parts need to be glued onto the side and upper armor plates. Here's how it looked before and after the treatment.

And here's the actual status. The gun mantle will be attached later on.

So I'm calling the building stage as finished. Up for painting, yay!

Return to “Member's Gallery”