AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Close-04/15

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: AMT '67 Mustang Fastback

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Dragline wrote:Watching Joe. Oh the fun foiling the trim on the front and rear ends. I'll be especially looking forward to that.
Pffftt... nothing a Molotow chrome pen can’t do. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks for following and for the comments so far guys.

Believe me.....the chrome on this car doesn't hold a candle to the one I did a couple of years back. This one.......was a complete nightmare to chrome....

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Pfffft....Piece of cake... :headbang: :lol: :whistle:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

That is a great foil job right there...
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

LOL!! Piece of cake...... :giggles:

Thanks Tom and Bob for chiming in.

Well it looks like the 262 is at last finished and I took a day or so break but felt the need to get back to the bench this morning. I started out on the engine in which I like how the basic engine layout is done. A one piece engine block with a separate oil pan which is a good thing because there is less of a seam line going down the middle of the bellhousing, oil pan and down the front of the engine between the intake manifold and timing cover. In the foreground you'll see the two parts that I just CANNOT use. This aint no P-51 Mustang so out goes the four bladed prop and I'm still trying to figure out just what in the hell they were thinking in regards to the carburetor. Man..........c'mon Round 2. The distributor is also a little weird looking so I may switch that out as well. The one other issue that I have with the engine is that it doesn't have an oil filter. To me this was a big deal but may not be to some folks. But................there's nowhere to put it either because the engine mount bosses cover the exact area where the filter is supposed to go. Looks like that part will be skipped on this build.

All of the engine parts needed cleaning up but the exhaust manifolds were the areas that needed the most. When cleaning these up with the X-acto blade you've gotta be careful because this plastic is REALLY soft. You can take off more than you want quicker than you're ready for if you're not careful. Just a heads up to anyone out there that wants to build this kit.

Additionally, on the back side of the exhaust manifolds are what looks like casting protrusions towards the front of each manifold and they may very well be BUT......in test fitting the manifolds to the cylinder head with the head fitted onto the engine block these protrusions also serve as a standoff which steadies positions them about where they are supposed to be in relation to the manifold exhaust outlets. So...................I left em in place.

LyleW
Admin

Re: AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Progress-07/10

Post by LyleW »

That Chevy looks spectaculalr. If only....

This will be fun to watch, too. You would think after 50 or 60 years of model making some of these companies would simply ask.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

LOL!! Thanks Lyle!!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Those parts were nicely cleaned up Joe!

Looking forward to the next steps on the engine build!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Kari! I'm really looking forward to getting back in here and starting this one up.

BTW.........I picked up my PE/ Resin air cleaner that I had on my 1:1 scale car. Now for the aluminum distributor.....

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Alright ....just picked up my aluminum distributor. A Detail Master DM-3201 offering. These are among the best distributors out there folks:

And as promised.....my replacement cooling fan from the Model Car Garage and my resin 4150 style Holley carburetor from FAB Resinworks ...both of which I had in stock:

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”