AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Close-04/15

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Last Stance Check-12/14

Post by jeaton01 »

I think we need a picture from further back, isn't the lens making the front tire look bigger than it is?
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
mustang1989

Re: AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Last Stance Check-12/14

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks you guys for the comments and input.

John: Actually the front tire is turned to the right just a tad giving the illusion that it's larger in diameter. It's all good bud.

As of now the nose to body fit is what's holding me up in moving forward in a timely fashion but this is a holy grail build of mine so I'll be taking my time with this one.

I've covered this in Declan's thread on his own 67 Mustang GT-350 ( which has the exact same issue). Actually all of these AMT kits (base 67 Fastback, GT-350 and the GT-500) have the exact same problem with the nose to body fit. A little TLC is all that's needed to fix the problem.

What I'll cover here that I didn't in Declan's thread is a focus on my car instead of his:

This is the NASTY join on the drivers side of the car.

Sanding the same ALL THE WAY down from the top of the fender to the bottom on the leading edge helped the gap through out the top and bottom edges of the fender/ nose seam. Once that's straightened out I noticed that there was a slight interference fit issue behind the headlight on the nose piece so I took a small file and trued the area where the headlight bucket meets the leading edge of the fender called out as area #1 in the photo below. After that I trimmed out the area behind the headlight called out in area #2 in the same photo. These two mods seemed to help things out alot:

another thing I did that seemed to help was that I used the back side of my X-Acto knife to carve some of the "meat" out from the drivers side front fender where the backside of the headlight bucket meets the fender from the inside here:

Although the passenger side doesn't seem to have the alignment and fit issues that the drivers side does you can see the difference of what I had to cut down on the drivers side as compared to the same area shown here untouched that's on the passengers side.

I'm still working through this issue with mine but I'm getting closer to the point that I can use a little filler in the gaps and sand it down some. You can see that the top of the headlight bucket is now flush with the fender at the top joint and the sides have cleaner join between the nose piece and the fender all the way down.

This one area of the build is a true nightmare to overcome but a little lovin' will straighten it all out.
LyleW
Admin

Re: AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Fit Issues-12/19

Post by LyleW »

You are the surgeon general of styrene!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

And I thought this was suppose to be a "relaxing" hobby.... :bored: :bored: :bored: :giggles: :giggles: :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

:giggles: :giggles: That's why I didn't bother fixing the gap on mine
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks for the comments and the humor fellas.

It IS relaxing for me. I like trying to figure some of this stuff out. I will be writing to AMT again to see if they can rectify the fit issues as well.
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Good luck with writing to them! Put in a word from me :lol: "Unimpressed"
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I had pretty good luck when I spoke to them over the phone Declan. After telling them about the incorrect tires that were in the kits, they brought it up in the next meeting and now the kits all have the correct tires that are on the box top in the kits.

Honestly, these aren't bad kits but need a lil' lovin' to whip 'em into some decent shape. :wink:
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

It's looking awesome as ever Joe! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
mustang1989 wrote:I had pretty good luck when I spoke to them over the phone Declan. After telling them about the incorrect tires that were in the kits, they brought it up in the next meeting and now the kits all have the correct tires that are on the box top in the kits.
I think how they managed that tyre issue is awesome, it just goes to show it's worth mentioning these things to them.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yeah, I wish more model companies have people you can talk to on the phone to bring things like this up, especially when they are willing to bring things up to get them fixed. E-mails can be skipped and/or deleted.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”