Schwerer Panzerspähwagen (Artilleriewagen)

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Schwerer Panzerspähwagen (Artilleriewagen)

Post by Scruffy »

I have been puttering away on this for a couple of weeks, and as soon as the sub is finished I will give this build most of my attention. I wanted to do something fun, interesting, and different, and this seemed to hit all the marks.

The kit seems decent enough considering it is now about 25 years old, and should be a relatively straightforward build.

The first steps covered building up the lower chassis.

Followed by adding the details to the sides of the body before assembling the flat sides to form the superstructure.

The sides went together well, taking care to make sure they stayed aligned while to glue dried.

The turret went together nicely too. I had to fill the locating dimples for the forward vision ports on the forward sided of the turret. I used a piece of Evergreen strip stock followed by putty to fill and blend the dimples into the turret sides.

And finally the major parts all sat together to see how it’s going to look.

Next up will be attending to some of the details and joining the major components together.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: Schwerer Panzerspähwagen (Artilleriewagen)

Post by jeaton01 »

I'm having a hard time seeing how such a thing could be used.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It looks to have some sort of motor, so I would say that it’s used for security patrols along railway tracks against partisan sabotage or ambushes.

That’s a unique project Scruffy! :hmm: I’m curious to see how this turns out.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Yes, these were built late in the war and were each individually motorized and suppose to operate in trains of 12 or 14 cars. There were also infantry carriers and a command version built as well. DML also has kits of those as well, which I do not have and am trying to resist the urge to acquire :headslap: , although I did build the command version back in the day when these were first released, but it is long gone. Also planned were flak cars for protection against allied strafer aircraft. Depending on the source there were to mount a Flak 38 on an open mount, or a turret such as a Werbelwind turret, though these were never built. Photos show at most show trains made up of about six cars at the most.

Yeah, I am curious to see how this turns out as well Stik :lol:
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I love these German rail builds. I've got a few in the stash along with a BR52 and a Leopold railway gun
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yes, everyone did well explaining the use of that car. It was also used in pairs or threes to scout out the rails ahead of an armored or supply train to see if the tracks had been damaged or to check for possible mines on the tracks.

Excellent progress on that little thing. That is one type of rail car I hadn't ever built. I did the Br-52, Br-86, armored engine, shuttle engine (twice), Both Leopold and the Morser Karl being transported by rail, an entire Panzerzug BP-44 armored train and of course... Dora. All of them in 1/72 scale.

Looking forward to seeing more on this!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking forward to seeing this one... :lashed:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Mean looking thing!
Thanks,
John
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very interesting!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”