1/72 IBG Fw 190D-9 Early Production

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

Re: 1/72 IBG Fw 190D-9 Early Production

Post by Stikpusher »

Considering the 1945 production and painting situation, your color choices are quite plausible John. And that is looking so sharp now. :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Floki wrote:That mottling looks great
Thanks Clint! I was saving that for last to build up my time using the Badger SOTAR. There is a fine line between the paint spitting and pooling on the model... hard to get that consistency between those too extremes. But the RLM 83 shot a smoother so it was possible to correct most of the overspray and pooling errors by iterating between the two colors.

Stuart wrote:That is a superb bit of modelling John - it looks spectacular.
Thanks Stuart! It's still got a long way to go and I am aiming to do a complete weathering job on her after the markings are finished. Which will be another test of the airbrush.

So, having enjoyed this trip down to 1/72, are you tempted to do some more in this scale?
I'm not sure. Possibly. But there seem to be some very interesting 1/32 scale subjects in the pipeline like the Italeri MC-202 Folgore, the Infinity Aichi D3A and Nakajima B5N and the Zoukei Mura Ki-100 that I would be pursuing. Personally, I think I enjoy working in a bigger scale but I won't say NEVER.

Medicman71 wrote:Man your painting is incredible! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Thank you! Keeping the mixtures on the thin side really helps the finish.

Stikpusher wrote:Considering the 1945 production and painting situation, your color choices are quite plausible John. And that is looking so sharp now. :shoutout:
Thanks Carlos! Gotta plow through the decaling stage and we can move on to the always-interesting weathering part of the build.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, I finally got caught up with this build. Oh man, I feel so many mixed feeling looking at this: overwhelming awe, anticipation to see more, and a frustration and sadness at how basic my work is and how far I'd have to go to even be considered 'advanced'. It's like I'm flying a Sopwith Camel at 20,000 feet and looking up at an SR-71 flying at the edge of space above me.

I can also see how much more I need to do with my own Sotar to try and achieve a slight resemblance to this outstanding work.My biggest issue with mine is getting it to work well enough to spray properly due to my own inexperience.

John, this is overwhelmingly outstanding work and I'm thrilled to see it come together. I am learning a considerable amount watching this, however; when I use this knowledge remains to be seen. Keep it coming John, and thank you for all your tips and photos.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thank you sincerely, Duke! I appreciate your comments and understand your frustration. I also see other modelers cranking out stuff that make me feel inadequate, incomplete or otherwise needing improvement. I don't think we ever reach the top of the mountain and I don't think that is the point. We should enjoy the climb, wherever we may be on that hill. I think every modeler has room to improve and learn and I try to keep pushing my model building beyond "good enough" to a place where I'm personally satisfied. And I'm sure there are modelers out there that think I have not taken it far enough.

One thing that I'm conscious of when modeling is the pace. I work best when I take my time. One or maybe two projects going on at any one time and no set schedule on when a project will be completed. Conversely, bad things tend to happen when I do things too quickly. Especially when it comes to letting things completely dry, whether that's paint or glue.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Looking at your work, Duke, it is apparent that you have a high level of modeling skills. But your build count is way higher than mine. Last year, you completed close to 40 models! That's over three per month! FWIW, I could not build the models that I build in those time frames. In 2021, I think I finished TWO. In 2020, I posted maybe SIX completed builds.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Excellent paint work John. I really like the masked panels on the belly - really eye catching. Do like the long slinky Dora
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thank you John!

I've applied the decals and put a pastel wash over the model.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Lovely work, John.

I am thinking about what Mark wrote. What I feel is a certain amount of awe mixed with joy that it is still possible to create a work on this level by hand. Great airbrush work is still a physically controlled challenge, and I feel you really understand this.

I also feel that the subjects call to the maker, if that makes sense, and your level of knowledge is outstanding. Just is. You know your stuff.

I was thinking the other day that if I complete one project on my own terms I would be happy. Most of my completed work goes out the door to someone else, I have terms dictated to me. I am not sure if this is a commission or not for you, since many projects you undertake are, but I likewise share the wonder at your ability to impart the stamp of your personal affinities upon your work.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I wasn't expecting all that rivet detail in 1/72
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Looks superb John! I do like your pastel washes.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”