Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog-Ending at last!

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Re: Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog

Post by Gary Brantley »

Medicman71 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:30 pm Wow! That really looks great!
Hey, thanks a lot Mike! She's slowly coming along. I've been futzing about with the driver and commander figures this afternoon. I'm afraid amputation of the lower legs was needed for both victims. :shocked: The driver dude sort of has an Asian look now, but the commander still looks too beefy for me. I've put him on a crash diet but if I remove any more plastic, I'll lose what little detail he has. I've come to believe he was an ARVN tanker who was really into weight lifting! Anyway, that's my story and he and I are sticking with it. :wink: :lol:
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Superb work on this Gary, the mud down the running gear looks perfect and I love your rusty exhausts!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

What a nice comment to find this morning Stuart! Thanks dude! :bow:

I believe I'm ready for the "home stretch". I've made a bunch of web-strapping and rope, and except for a bit of detail painting, I think locating and securing all the stowage items is about all that's left. Oh crap, just remembered all those tiny Grandt Line bolts I need to apply! :shocked:

Oh, and I did order a set of ARVN guys for an M113 APC. I believe I can use them on this tank; well at least, I'm going to try like hell to make them work! :lol:
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Stuart wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:14 pm (...) and I love your rusty exhausts!
Gentleman, please! :giggles:

Outstanding work, Gary. I'm sure the next weathering steps will let this bugger stand out even more!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

mostrich wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:43 am
Stuart wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:14 pm (...) and I love your rusty exhausts!
Gentleman, please! :giggles:

Outstanding work, Gary. I'm sure the next weathering steps will let this bugger stand out even more!
:lol: Well...they are some sexy damned exhausts, aren't they?!? :lol:

Thanks so much for the encouragement Herr Mostrich! As Oat Willie says, "Onward through the fog!" :grin:
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Man, this is some incredible stuff you're doing with this one Gary!! Dang it man!!!!!

I missed something along the way though. Seems that you've been away from the bench for a while due to medical issues. I hope all is well on the recovery end for you buddy. Been a long time since we've caught up and all. It may have something to do with the different modeling genres but I'm trying to make my way around to all of 'em. Will be peeking in on this one from time to time to see continued greatness in action. :bow:
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thanks so much Joe! It's always good to hear from you, and I do certainly appreciate your support and encouragement; all of that helps keep me motivated to finish this one and start another! Yeah, I've had a few medical setbacks but they are minor ones compared to so many others, and I think my issues can be resolved, again, unlike many unfortunate folks. Thanks for your well wishes too, Joe! :bow:

Thanks for the great comments and appreciate you dropping by my friend! Looking forward to "seeing" you again soon. :grin:
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Okay folks, I've got another little update. I've entered the "home stretch" at last, slowly knocking things off the need to do list! I believe the hull is basically done, excepting the driver's vision ports. I'd like to fill those openings with tinted Micro Krystal Klear, tinted dark blue. I experimented a bit by adding some Vallejo blue acrylic to the KK, but it wasn't dark enough for me and I had no black acrylic to add for darkening. I'll look into the supermarket's food coloring selection and see what they have. The biggest problem here is just getting to those ports for the filling; maybe should've planned that a bit better. Cleaning up any mess there may be kinda "ticklish". I see a few spots in the close ups that need paint touch up too (oh, those headlights and the lone tail-light! :shocked:), so that's on the plate for the next bench session.

I've taken a few pics that show the stowage items, just sort of mocked-up at the moment (taped on in a couple places). Everything will get a tie-down strap or rope for attachment. I've got painted Tamiya tape, lead foil strips and some webbing straps made from doubled painter's masking tape to use for that, along with several sizes of "rope" made from sewing thread, depending on the location and need. There are a lot of ammo cans that will placed behind the piece of traffic barrier pressed into service. I believe I'm done with the rope seen on front but may find some touching up needed there too.

Oh yeah, I've also inquired at Kings Hobby in Austin about finding a figure painter to "sub-out" that work on the two crew figures. I know that I can't do them justice and feel like my amateurish efforts would really detract from the overall look of the model. Maybe that is cheating a little but I'm planning on giving the credit where it's due! :wink:

Here are a few cellphone pics showing some progress at last, sitting atop one of my display cabinets. Thanks for your interest and your patience; we're slowly getting there! :grin:

Last edited by Gary Brantley on Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Gary, that is a masterpiece! Love your detail work!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking sharp Gary! Very sharp. :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”