Hobbyboss 1/48 FM-2 Wildcat

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Hobbyboss 1/48 FM-2 Wildcat

Post by LyleW »

Well, RebelAlpha refunded the money for the decals and I bought a sheet of national insignia from him. Didn't ask for money back, but that is how he is. Nice guy. Got another Techmod sheet from a guy in UK/Poland - didn't notice it was the same sheet. It arrived the other day. applying the insignia on the fuselage using warm, distilled water. Still had a tear. So, I don't know. I think that the backing softens before the decal is fully wet and if it curls (which it does) and you straighten it out, it pulls the decal apart. It was salvageable. The second one wasn't.

Oh, the other day, I was carrying a gallon jug of disteilled water to the basement. I have arthritis in my hands and I bumped the door frame and dropped the jug. Bump, bump, bump,bump,bump,bump,bump,bump,bump,bump,bump,bump, SPLOOSH. A gallon is a lot of water to wipe up.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Lyle, next time use a pack mule to carry water to thd basement. LOLOLOL!

Ugh... water clean up is never fun unless you have a wet dry vac.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yep. A lot of paper towels were used!

I guess those newer decals are enough thinner as well, such that they are way more fragile. Finally got them on the sides of the craft.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I have had issues with Techmod decals and don't use them any more. Kind of like Propagteam that used to come with Roden kits, I think.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I had one set of Techmod decals. Its for my Hellcat. Its in this years to do pile so we'll see how that goes
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:04 am Oh, the other day, I was carrying a gallon jug :wow: of disteilled water to the basement. I have arthritis in my hands and I bumped the door frame and dropped the jug. Bump, bump, bump,bump,bump,bump,bump,bump,bump,bump,bump,bump, SPLOOSH. A gallon is a lot of water to wipe up.
Ouch!

So, and this is just me throwing out wild, radical and hair-brained ideas here Lyle, but why not try a smaller jug next time? :lashed: :grin: I mean, how many decals where you planning on doing anyway? :hmm:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Oh, and the Wildcat is coming along very nicely!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, it has been somewhat of a challenge. Me, not the kit. The canopy was buggered up just enough, so I’ve ordered replacements. Other than that it is done.

As for the water, it only is available in gallon jugs. Oh well, at least the floor is clean in that area.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”