IDF TOW M151

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

IDF TOW M151

Post by Stikpusher »

I kicked off this build last night at IPMS. It should go fairly quickly, although I do plan to modify it into IDF configuration as used during the 1982 Lebanon War

the basic idea…

the kit

and steps 1 & 2 completed last night, the undersides

more to come soon…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: IDF TOW M151

Post by Medicman71 »

Very cool! Can't wait to see the build.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mike. I’m trying to decide if I should do the IDF mods myself, or buy and AM set and save myself some time… :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Personally I'd buy the AM stuff cause I like doing it that way and I can't scratch build for the life of me.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I hear ya Mike. If I go with one configuration, the AM set works, if I go with another, I’ll go the scratch route…

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I have spent quite some time studying the few decent photos I could find of the IDF TOW jeeps and resumed work on this yesterday during the SO CAL AMPS Zoom meeting

I finished up most of the basic body work and added the screen over the radiator grill seen on the IDF M151s

Then I built up the components for the TOW system, but didn't yet glue them all in place. I need to cut the missile rack in half because the IDF ones carry their missiles over and under rather than side by side. Also the ground mount tripod is stowed on the driver's fender instead of under the missile rack on the IDF TOW jeeps.

Lastly I built up the rear seats and the radio components. I still need to do a bit more work on the radios. I swapped out the US jerry can for an IDF type

Now I need to do my best guesstimate of the IDF internal configuration. and do a bit of scratch work... still not sure if im going with a M1919 .30 cal or FN MAG machine gun.... I'm leaning towards the Browning...

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oh very nice subject!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, this one sat on the sidelines for awhile as I worked on some time deadline projects, but now I have resumed work. My biggest thing was trying to figure out the IDF configuration that was changed from the original TOW Jeeps sent to the IDF. After pouring over the few photos that I could find, I am going with an early/mid configuration, and this is where I'm at now.

I had to alter the missile stowage racks, the MGS rack was cooled with a seat, a machine gun pintle point is being added to the dash, and most of the radio and external stowage being reworked.

In a day or two I should have it all together and ready for basic paint...

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

A really interesting build Carlos, I do like these TOW or otherwise armed jeeps. It's interesting to think how much damage something so cheap can do.

Really liking the modifications.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, with the latest variant of TOW, they can kill anything on the battlefield. But of course the are quite vulnerable to everything out there as well… it’s a trade off.

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”