1//32 Hasegawa Ki-61-1 Tei Hien

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 1//32 Hasegawa Ki-61-1 Tei Hien

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Good question. My guess a Q-tip soaked in debonder?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

jkim wrote: I used Tamiya Extra Thin to weld the the stretched sprue into place. As the glue softens the plastic, I was able to push the stretched sprue further into the gap. I don't use sprue goo much anymore but the batch I made was in a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin cement. And so, I was able to use the application brush that came with the bottle.
Let me understand this right....
As the liquid glue creates a weld as it softens the stretched sprue, how does pushing it further into the gap create a smooth surface; let alone fill it completely without sanding?
I'm a little confused with this method and am trying to get a better understanding how you achieve a nice finish on the gap.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Stikpusher wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:56 pm John, I may have missed an earlier explanation by you, but how do you clean up the excess Black CA with debonder? Do you just swab away the excess with something soaked in debonder?
Yes Carlos! I use a cotton bud moistened with debonder and wipe away the excess CA glue, leaving the remainder in the gap. This cuts down on sanding significantly or even completely.
BlackSheep214 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:47 pm
jkim wrote: I used Tamiya Extra Thin to weld the the stretched sprue into place. As the glue softens the plastic, I was able to push the stretched sprue further into the gap. I don't use sprue goo much anymore but the batch I made was in a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin cement. And so, I was able to use the application brush that came with the bottle.
Let me understand this right....
As the liquid glue creates a weld as it softens the stretched sprue, how does pushing it further into the gap create a smooth surface; let alone fill it completely without sanding?
I'm a little confused with this method and am trying to get a better understanding how you achieve a nice finish on the gap.
Stretched sprue and the black CA+debonder are two different gap filling techniques. Pushing the sprue down into the gap creates a stronger joint and reduces the amount of sprue sticking up out of the joint but sanding is still required. Generally speaking, I used the sprue to bridge the gap on plastic-to-plastic joints. The black CA was used where the resin nose butted up against the plastic fuselage or wings. I was looking for the strongest connection.

The bottom joint cleanup is almost complete.

I forgot to cut out the slots in the wing bottoms to accommodate the drop tank racks. That got me thinking about a better way... using magnets to attach the racks and keep the wing bottoms completely clean otherwise. So I drilled a couple of holes and dropped in the smallest of the magnets. These are 1/16" (0.0625mm) in diameter.

The racks are BARELY thick enough to accommodate the magnets.

Voila... detachable drop tank racks!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Love that idea - not sure it would work in 1/48 scale. BTW where did you get these tiny magnets?
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Ok now I understand your method.

jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

keavdog wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:39 am Love that idea - not sure it would work in 1/48 scale. BTW where did you get these tiny magnets?
I got the magnets on EBay. I guess they are used by Warhammer figure painters.

Here is the wing after the magnets have been covered with putty.

Two magnets are enough to hold the rack + drop tank securely.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

The tiny tail wheel is thoughtfully provided separately from the tiny tail strut. Curiously, the wheel is keyed into to a definite position even though the wheel is not weighted.I wanted to add flat spot to the tail wheel so I decided to incorporate an axle using brass tubing.

The tabs on the strut are cut off and replaced with holes to accommodate the axle. And a small hole is drilled through the tail wheel.

The key hole on the tail wheel, which is no longer needed, is filled in with black CA glue.

These components can now be painted separately. When it comes time to install the landing gear, the tail wheel can be rotated so that the flat spot is in the right place.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice! Very nice! :hmm: And thank your for the clarification on cleaning up excess CA filler. How long do you usually wait before doing the clean up?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Damn.... :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! You can clean up the CA immediately if you use activator. Another advantage for the impatient ones. Otherwise, just wait for it to be dry.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”