Cold snap and paint?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Cold snap and paint?

Post by scorpiomikey »

We had a bit of a cold snap up this way. Our high for the day was negative 8C (17F). So a little chilly. The garage where i have things set up is not too much warmer than that. I had a jar of water on the desk and its a solid chunk of ice now.
My question is will this damage my paints in any way?
I've never lived in temperatures like this before and ive never worked with Vallejo Model Air paints before. So its all new territory for me.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Stikpusher

Re: Cold snap and paint?

Post by Stikpusher »

I have heard about damages to various types of paints due to freezing cold exposure in shipping. I presume that water based paints would be more susceptible to damage than petroleum based types. a prolonged cold spell could wreak some havoc there. It might be wise if you moved your paints into the heated portion of your home for safekeeping during the cold spell.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I keep my paints in my cellar by my bench. So I really don't have issues of paint freezing from the cold.

Had to laugh at minus 8 C (17 F) . Ya'll dont know cold in our neck.of the woods. Folks in the MidWest experienced bitter cold with temps in double digits below zero F°.

We had a high of 7° F over the weekend. But we do typically get temps below zero on occasion.

Have you thought of installing a heater in your garage?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Yes, freezing temperatures can definitely ruin your paint. It can cause the pigment, carrier and solvent to separate. Depending on the type and how long this can be irreversible. So get them out of the frost ASAP!
ImageImageImageImageImage
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Considering the lowest temperature ive been in prior to this was -5C overnight. Lowest daytime was 5. Living in the sub tropics had its advantages.
Moving to the west cost of canada has changed my outlook on weather.

Paints dont seem to have taken any damage (used the primer, not so much the other paints) but i will make sure they come inside next time.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I’ll bet it has! :grin:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Modeling Discussion”