Ark Models Mig-3

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

Re: Ark Models Mig-3

Post by Stikpusher »

Look on eBay for parts sprues if you have no luck with Ark Models customer service. Obviously parts from the ICM kit will fit also, so that is another route to save this project. You can also potentially cut off the short shot wing tips and flaps then create replacements from appropriate thickness sheet styrene. Then sand the replacement areas to correct shape and contours.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:50 am I've been thinking on how to move forward with this. Cutting out a small section where wingtip lights on lower wing and reposition to correct spot to upper wingtips Using scrap sheet styrene to fill in the areas is one possibility to correct this as opposed to putty work.

It's doable but will I be satisfied with the outcome? Only time will tell.
My answer would be - what have you got to loose by giving it a go?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Cockpit is done. Such a beautiful office of the Mig-3 :wub:

“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It's been a good night solving my wings problem. Thankfully, I had some styrene sheets from Lyle, last year. It definitely came in handy. I have to thank Lyle again.

Further thinking and planning went into this all afternoon. I couldn't wait til later this evening to put it into action.

I simply traced the wing tip section, marked it with a pen, cut to shape, and glued into place.

Bottom view...

Once everything is dried, I will trim the excess from the topside.

Told view...

The wing flap areas is a simple fix. Trimming those off is pretty straightforward. I don't expect any issues.

Some minor work might be in store to hide some tiny gaps on the edges. I won't know until tomorrow after the trimming work is done.

I think I'm going to be happy with the outcome.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's a great looking cockpit Tom and excellent work on fixing your wing issue - I'm sure you'll get it sorted!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Very nice save on the short shot wings. I love the MiG-3 but I don't have the ICM kit. Quality control seems a bit of a problem. Maybe I should keep the Trumpeter kit on my list...
ImageImageImageImageImage
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That’s what I’m talking about! Well done so far.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

BorgR3mc0 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am Very nice save on the short shot wings. I love the MiG-3 but I don't have the ICM kit. Quality control seems a bit of a problem. Maybe I should keep the Trumpeter kit on my list...
Quality control seems to be a good way to describe the short shot wing issue. Last night, I had looked into the Trumpeter Mig-3 in scalemates. I definitely have them both early and late versions in 1/48 scale on my wish list - both priced under $30. Even Scalehobbyist has 1/32 scale Mig-3 for $45 that's also on my list as well.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BorgR3mc0 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am Very nice save on the short shot wings. I love the MiG-3 but I don't have the ICM kit. Quality control seems a bit of a problem. Maybe I should keep the Trumpeter kit on my list...
I’d say keep the Trumpeter kit on your list. Get the ICM kit if you can, but it’s a late model type. Then get the Trumpter early production type, ICM does not make that version, so you have the variants covered :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm
I’d say keep the Trumpeter kit on your list. Get the ICM kit if you can, but it’s a late model type. Then get the Trumpter early production type, ICM does not make that version, so you have the variants covered :wink:
:P1:

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”