Empire of the Rising Sun Group Build

Member created Group Builds
Stikpusher

Re: Empire of the Rising Sun Group Build

Post by Stikpusher »

Today I finally made enough progress worth taking update photos. After seam clean up and gap filling, then rescribing lost detail, I added the horizontal stabilizers and engine to the airframe

I also assembled the propeller then test fitted it and the cowling for a photo

Now it looks like a Hayabusa! Just a few more items to add then I can start painting!!!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Two more Zeros slid into the display cases today, the Hasegawa A6M2-K and the Tamiya A6M3 model 22. The Tamiya kit was a gem to put together, the Hasegawa kit was less so in comparison but it is a high bar. There were two versions of the trainer, one with the A6M2 model 21 wing and engine, the other with the A6M5 wing but still the type 21 engine. This model is the latter type. As you can see in the last photo with both models facing each other, the A6M2-K had a longer forward fuselage ahead of the wing, and a longer tailwheel, both to accommodate the back seat where the instructor was. Those changes re-balanced the airplane and improved what little forward vision there was from the rear seat.

Here are the photos of the A6M2-K, the next post will be of the A6M3 model 22.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

The Tamiya A6M3 model 22.

The paint scheme was the thing I most wanted to get right on this one, as there is a much published photo of it showing the random mottling and a unique pattern on the forward fuselage. That photo is the basis for Tamiya's box art for this kit. I think I got close but getting a really fine line still eludes me, though I did improve some on this project.

The cowl, prop, and canopy all both press fit, allowing for easily varied display options.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice pair of Zeroes. An odd one to see one with yellow undersides. :hmm:

As soon as the Pucara is done, I’ll resume building the Rufe. The positive thing is I received my replacement wings a month or so back.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Great work John.

Second attempt at hairspray chipping. Curious why my chips are very round. I'll keep trying. Decals are setting

Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I just sprayed a coat of gloss clear on the Pucara in preparation for the decal session. Enough time to monkey around with the Rufe. I will admit, I had been working on this one off and for the past week and a half. The office assembled, painted, and buttoned up in the fuselage. This is where I am for now.

The cowling is already painted as well. Who knew the little square paint bottle of Testors would fit perfectly to paint the cowling.... :giggles:

I will be doing this one using the kit's decals of the Aleutian campaign of WW2.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Able to get some time on the Type 97....a bazilion teeny tiny pieces parts. Very tedious for me, but i'm getting there. It does bug me that there are so many external pieces buried in the lnear steps that will have to be painted different colors, etc. Seems to me they could do us old farts a favor and make a steo at the end to add all those,... Anyway, I'm highlighting them with a marker (black sharpie :giggles: ) so I can go back and paint.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

jeaton01 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:54 pm Two more Zeros slid into the display cases today, the Hasegawa A6M2-K and the Tamiya A6M3 model 22
Great Work John! Very nice Zeros. That training Zeke is strangely appealing after seeing it built up!
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Calling Frank done. This was really my second experiment with chipping and it was better than the first in that I didn't go down to bare plastic but still not happy. Needs more randomness so to speak. Other than that - box stock, decal problems with the yellow leading edge lifelike decals not settling down.

Thanks,
John
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Looks good, John. Maybe not what you were seeing in your mind but still good!

Return to “Member Group Builds”