F-4 Phantom Discussion Zone - Versions, Mods, Lumps & Bumps

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
RexCag
Advanced Member

Re: F-4 Phantom Discussion Zone - Versions, Mods, Lumps & Bu

Post by RexCag »

Phantom facts ("Phantomology") is actually pretty easy, if you divide the various versions into groups.

The first major division is the "thin winged" vs "thick winged" versions. On the same basic fuselage (except for the UK) the wings are the next thing that divides them. That is because the series started with a Thin Wing, and then added the Thick Wing later, caused by a change in tire width.

The next division is the Original Nose (YF4H-1 and the like), Short Nose (Late F-4A, F-4B/N, F-4C, F-4D, F-4J/S, and F-4K/M {with a unique fuselage shape}, Long Nose (F-4E, F-4EJ, F-4F, F-4G), and the Recce Nose (RF-4B, RF-4C and RF-4E {there really wasn't an RF-4EJ, those were really RF-4E, built by McDonnell and sold to Japan} {there were two different Recce noses, also),,,,,,,,and then there are the "Ringers", which I will talk about later on.

Among the Thick Winged Phantoms, there were two different wheel types, the Naval and the Land Based.

There were two different stabilators, the early Non-slotted, and the Slotted, which are slightly larger with the same span, because the Slots were created by adding a framework to the front edge of the basic Stabilator.

It is important to remember that among the Short Nose Phantoms, the nose Radomes could interchange from one type to another. This was in fact done on some aircraft. The Late F-4A, F-4B, F-4C and F-4D used a Radome that had different Nose Sensors attached at the bottom, these fairings could also be interchanged from Radome to Radome. The F-4J and F-4S Radomes had a different sensor slot at the back of the bottom of the Radome. The F-4K, F-4M, late F-4C, early F-4D and Blue Angels aircraft had a Radome that did not have slots for either the nose lump (Donkey Dick) or the rear slot for the F-4J item.

Tail tips also had differences, and could be changed on an airframe as different equipment was added or deleted on any given Phantom airframe. The very rear of the fuselage drag chute covers also can be changed, lumps and bumps varied on them as well.

One other change in the actual airframe occurred when the Phantom's intakes were changed from the early type used on the Prototype and the "Late F-4A and later" version that we all know. There were also changed intakes on the F-4K and F-4M.

There were Three main external differences in the engines, the Early "short afterburner can", the Late "long afterburner can" and the UK used Spey engines. (there are other engines used on the Ringers, also)

So, here's a summary so far,
Thin and Thick wings
Thin and Thick tires, with Naval and Land wheel types for the Thick tires
Original Nose, Short Nose, Long Nose, Recce Nose
Non-Slotted and Slotted Stabilators
Radome variations
Tail tips
Chute doors
Intake type
3 different engine cans

Those are the "big parts", there were many different small details that enter into this,,,,,,,,these big parts are what divide the labels on the model kits from each other when they get boxed up, labelled and sold to us.
nathant
Advanced Member

Post by nathant »

Some phenomenal phacs here that I'll be sure to phile away phor the phuture. :bag:
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow. That's a lot to keep up with. :writing:

I have a question. I have the Academy F-4J kit. What I want to know is what squadrons (Navy and Marine) that I can do besides the kit supplied "Jolly Rodgers".
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

Here's an incomplete list, because I am only halfway through my F-4 Decal stash (compiling a list of all decals available for all versions, to post in this thread)

F-4J squadrons, so far

VF-11 AA code
VF-21 NE with intake DECM
VF-31 AC
VF-33 AE, AG + others I haven't gotten to
VF-41 AE (some with DECM)
VF-74 AJ
VF-92 NG
VF-96 NG
VF-102 AG (DECM)
VF-103 AC (with and without DECM)
VF-114 NH
VF-121 NJ (with and without DECM)
VF-142 AJ, NK
VF-171 AD (DECM)
VX-4 various Ringers

VMFA-115 AA (DECM)
VMFA-122 DC (DECM)
VMFA-212 WD
VMFA-232 WT (with and without DECM)
VMFA-235 DB
VMFA-251 DW
VMFA-312 DR (with and without DECM)
VMFA-333 AJ
VMFA-334 WU
VMFA-451 AA

There will be more when I get all the way through the decal data cards in my collection.
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

oops, sorry, I had just seen the Academy 1/72 Phantom kit yesterday, and my decal collection is all 1/72.

I completely forgot that you might mean 1/48 Academy,,,,,,,,,and I can tell you which units used the F-4J, but, not which 1/48 decals there are.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

nathant wrote:Some phenomenal phacs here that I'll be sure to phile away phor the phuture. :bag:
That ain't phunny. :chair:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

RexCag wrote:oops, sorry, I had just seen the Academy 1/72 Phantom kit yesterday, and my decal collection is all 1/72.

I completely forgot that you might mean 1/48 Academy,,,,,,,,,and I can tell you which units used the F-4J, but, not which 1/48 decals there are.
That's ok. All I needed really were the squadrons. Decals I can find, I hope. Thanks!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thank you for the great input, Rex!

Maybe this is well known by you experts, but for all others:

Great F-4 Squadron and Picture Database
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

That GoNavy link reminds me that I should post a few links that will help.

http://www.gonavy.jp/ go to the carrier and squadron pages to see who went where and with what, then scroll through the pages of the two message boards and the BBS Gallery on the right. You won't believe how many pictures you will find.

Tommy's index page of many of his Phantom articles http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2013 ... index.html

Kim's start in explaining some of this stuff http://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/

I hope that I agree with those two most of the time, lol. I will be posting from a "book guy" standpoint, other than those last two links I don't use the internet much for Phantom research. (so many lists get shortened up, or are compiled by people that "dunt bleeve" a bunch of the Phantom Phacts.

okay, that will help with some of the questions, but, not the plastic involved in building the models.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Then there are the various antennas, bumps, blisters, wingtip and fin housings, and chin & intake shoulder fairings mounted for ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) and RHAW (Radar Homing and Warning) gear that have been installed on the various versions over the lifetime of the Phantom over the lifetime of the aircraft by different services and countries.

Oh yeah, and the slatted & unslatted wings... :hmm: As well as some fences associated with both.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”