Looking for advice

All things paint and/or airbrush related. Help, recommendations, etc.
Corvetteguy71

Looking for advice

Post by Corvetteguy71 »

I have slowly acquired the things I need to airbrush paint my next build except for paint. Looking for recommendations here since I am a beginner at the hobby and painting. I'm looking for primer, paints, and clears that don't have to be thinned just ready to pour and spray. While learning to paint I'm not sure I want to learn to thin properly right away. I'm taking it one step at a time. Trying to challenge myself with each new project. With that, the next car will be one I can prime, paint, and clear. Any recommendations on airbrush friendly paints is appreciated.
Jeeves
Master Member

Re: Looking for advice

Post by Jeeves »

Tamiya paints tend to be pretty much ready to go after mixing...I also enjoy the Vallejo Model Air line as they are ready to.go straight out of the bottle and it's easy to manage exactly how much comes out of their squeeze dropper bottles.
Mike
Corvetteguy71

Post by Corvetteguy71 »

Jeeves wrote:Tamiya paints tend to be pretty much ready to go after mixing...I also enjoy the Vallejo Model Air line as they are ready to.go straight out of the bottle and it's easy to manage exactly how much comes out of their squeeze dropper bottles.

Thank you. This is where I will start!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Corvetteguy71 wrote:
Jeeves wrote:Tamiya paints tend to be pretty much ready to go after mixing...I also enjoy the Vallejo Model Air line as they are ready to.go straight out of the bottle and it's easy to manage exactly how much comes out of their squeeze dropper bottles.

Thank you. This is where I will start!
I'd have to agree. Tamiya, Vallejo Model Air, Ammo of MiG, AK Interactive and Hataka are what I use.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You guys airbrush Tamiya without thinning? Seriously?

In all honesty, thinning for airbrushing is a fairly simple skill to get a handle on.

Just a suggestion, but a good idea is to get a kit that you really won't care about to use as a test mule for paints, glued, techniques, etc. Use it for practice to get decent on whatever, before you try it on a project that is more near and dear to you.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:that:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Stikpusher wrote:You guys airbrush Tamiya without thinning? Seriously?

In all honesty, thinning for airbrushing is a fairly simple skill to get a handle on.

Just a suggestion, but a good idea is to get a kit that you really won't care about to use as a test mule for paints, glued, techniques, etc. Use it for practice to get decent on whatever, before you try it on a project that is more near and dear to you.
That is some solid advice Stik. Thinning is an important part of airbrushing. And yes, I do thin Tamiya. With Gunze laquer thinner actually.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Jeff, at least on the clear I would suggest to get some Alclad II Aqua Gloss, or, maybe even better to aquire in the States: Future (Pledge) floor polish. Shot it straight from the bottle! Maybe THE gloss used by most modellers. Also great to have a coat of Future on the model before getting the decals on. Then, after dry, seal with another coat of Future.

Clear parts, dipped in Future, will even improve in clarity! Just prevent the Future from pooling in corners!

Airbrushing paints will greatly improve the finish the look of your builds. Each of us has (and maybe still has to) go to some time of getting the curve. Thinning is necessary on most paints that are to be airbrushed. There is no science. You will master thinning rather fast!
Corvetteguy71

Post by Corvetteguy71 »

Thank you for the advice folks. Stik I absolutely agree with you on a practice project and that was the plan. Nothing fancy with large panels or areas so that I can practice.

Return to “Painting/Airbrushing”