Bandai 1/48 AT-ST Lost in the Jungle

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
mostrich
Admin

Bandai 1/48 AT-ST Lost in the Jungle

Post by mostrich »

Greetings to all you Padawans and Masters out there!

the beginning of this wip might be a deja vu for some of you, 'cause I started it some weeks ago over in the sci-fi section. When our beloved member Bruce came up with the great idea of an Star Wars group build, I immediately volunteered to be a part of it.
So here I'm immigrating with the whole thread.

Starting with Bandai's lovely box art:

All parts were hit with a smooth layer of black lacquer primer. I also added some blaster hits on the front armor plate of the turret and a 'scar' on its left side. Ended up with a box full of stuff:

A pair of silky black legs. Mmmmh...

To this point construction was nothing less than what I expected. The plastic is easy and clean to cut and sand, construction is a breeze. Pure joy. Period.

My goal is to create a small vignette showing a long abandoned and burned out AT-ST in a jungle environment. Some marvelous laser cut (how appropriate :grin: ) found their way from Japan right on my bench.

To give the future observers of the scene an idea of the size of the mechanic walker, I'll add this human walker right to its feed:

I want the operator's cab to have the burned out appearance of an hedge fond manager. So a first layer of chipped paint was put on a base of Alclad Burned Steel, brightened with a drop of Dark Aluminum. A second chipped layer will follow.

Legs, cab and many other parts got their basic pale blue-grey coat, along with some medium grey shadows. Coming steps will bring further modulation to it.

Started work on the base by using a picture frame (wow, how creative!) and Balsa Foam. First time working with this material. It's a dusty affair filing and sanding that stuff. But it's weight to rigidity-ratio is quite convincing.

Would love to show you how it looks now after some serious carving, but since Bucketgate I'm not able to load a :poo: up.
But I'm working on a solution where I'm the master of my content. Stay tuned, hitchhikers!
speedgraflex

Re: Bandai 1/48 AT-ST Lost in the Jungle

Post by speedgraflex »

WELCOME ABOARD, TORBEN!

SO excited to see your AT-ST diorama come together here with the other SW builds. Here is one of two shots of the original model that I have:

AT-ST built by Joe Johnston for ESB

Looks like your version is from ROTJ? Is that correct?

Here is the other stripped version of the ESB AT-ST:

If I may add this as reference here...?

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”