Tether Tools Phone Mount.

Help, information and what we use to take those wonderful pictures of our builds.
speedgraflex

Tether Tools Phone Mount.

Post by speedgraflex »

This product appears very useful (I don’t own it yet) for taking photos with a phone. It’s basically a small mount for securing a phone to a tripod, or a monopod. I included a photo of the mount also being used with “stickum” on a laptop, as a kind of a semi permanent jump drive holder, and a photo of the mount on a tripod.

This version costs $15 USD. I am sure there are a gazillion knockoffs, but I think this is good, basic support design for anyone using a phone myself included to take work in progress shots.

Last edited by speedgraflex on Fri May 11, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Tether Tools Phone Mount.

Post by Stuart »

It's certainly an interesting tool, but I do have to wonder that if you're using your phone on a tripod - why not just use a proper camera? :hmm:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Good point.

My answer comes from shooting a portrait series with both the full frame Sony A7RII and the iPhone 7. When processed through VSCO, I could interchange the shots. So I am confident that digitally, phone camera and stand alone camera technology is getting exquisitely close to each other. The phone’s form factor is smaller and since our publishing platform is restricted to the forum, I don’t feel the need to use my Sony at all.

I like the efficiency of point, shoot, edit and publish. If I need more pixels, I can always go grab a camera, but more pixels does not equal a better image.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Agree, I am also with Bruce here, the current smartphones take extremely good quality pictures of close subjects. There is no need really to zoom etc.

Not to forget the simplicity to get the pictures uploaded without "hassle", as Bruce mentioned also.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yup. I get much better close up photos with my current iPhone than I can get with my fancy camera. Perhaps if I had a nice macro lens, but then there is still the issue of editing and uploading...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I have a macro lens to my large Canon camera, but the iPhone makes good enough shots for WIPs and the like. And it weights a lot less...
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

You know - I've nothing against the device - if anything it does show just how good phone camera's are getting (not that I use mine - can't fit the film in) and anywa.....

..hang on....

..actually scratch all my arguments - I was going to say something about phone cameras being all about portability and 'spur of the moments', but I've just noticed that my missing tripod mount is bolted to the bottom of my Nikon AF3*(that's a 35mm compact camera for you young un's), so that kind of kills it.

So crack on!

*I was using it last year to do some landscapes at dusk on a tripod - just to see if I could!

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

All I can add is I just posted a film image - 35mm box camera on the forum! So there goes any generalizations on my end.

Ultimately I feel we treat any camera - including the one on our phone - as a way to record and document our lives and do our best with what we have at my hand.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I fully agree Bruce - The best camera you own is always the one to hand. Besides it's the eye the view finder that counts, and you've got one hell of an eye - makes me look like an beginner (and I've been carrying one around for 25 years!)

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I believe your experience shows, especially when it comes to photographing models. I was fascinated by the miniature photography by Derek Meddings of many James Bond films. I watched “Thunderball” recently. Beautiful models.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Photography”