USS U-2513

Here is the place to show off your completed ship products.
mostrich
Admin

Re: USS U-2513

Post by mostrich »

I like your little submarine very much. Again a sophisticated war machine that luckily came too late to have an impact on the war.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

mostrich wrote:I like your little submarine very much. Again a sophisticated war machine that luckily came too late to have an impact on the war.
It’s an interesting concept to ponder about “what if?” Hitler had waited until the fleet building program had been completed before starting the war. Of course the wartime urgency of some research and development programs would not have existed, but the time allotted to develop certain technologies undisturbed and then launch the war with those weapons is a frightening thought.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Incredible work!!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Really nice job. I've always wondered what the tactical use of the subs deck guns - these look to be on steroids. Was it a last ditch weapon if forced to surface? Again, nice work
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

That is a good question, with several answers. Post WW I and prior to WWII there were restrictions placed on submarines and their use, so to circumvent those rules, deck guns were fitted so the subs could be utilized as a surface ship. Also, prior to reliable and effective snorkel systems subs had to spend a decent amount of time surfaced to recharge batteries, The guns were necessary at these times for self protection as the subs were at their most vulnerable. And there were times when a sub would be tasked to interdict smaller vessels and the deck guns gave them a little tooth to do this with.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Not to mention that smaller ships would be too shallow draft or potentially too small of a target for torpedoes. A couple rounds from the large deck gun into the waterline area of the smaller target vessel would do the same job far more economically than an expensive torpedo. Save those for a juicier target.
Other considerations would be the firing envelope of the torpedo itself. It has to travel a certain distance to arm, and takes time to set up a firing solution into the weapon itself. For close targets, the deck gun can be put into action more rapidly by a well trained crew.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

:that:
Thank you for the added info Stick.

Return to “Completed Builds: Ships”