Mongram P-80 (1977-1980?)

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Sprue-ce Goose
Advanced Member

Re: Mongram P-80 (1977-1980?)

Post by Sprue-ce Goose »

LyleW wrote:Naw, just several cups of coffee! Fixed the link on the above post.

several cups of coffee oughta get the muscles twitching fast enough to do all that sanding.................

........build is lookin' good so far !
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks guys. I think she'll be a two-bagger.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

LyleW wrote:Thanks guys. I think she'll be a two-bagger.
I love your P-80 and want to two-bag her...
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

You got it! one bag for you and one for the plane.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote:Thanks guys. I think she'll be a two-bagger.
'two-bagger'!?! I haven't heard that one in a while, still it's better than a 'Stumper'....

I think you're being too hard on yourself Lyle - that internal work looks good to me. I really like these old Mono kits - they're generally fun to build!

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Portman. Aren't we all harder on ourselves? On this one, the paint did not come out as I had wanted. But, it was a filler project, so not too worried about that. Bigger problem showed up a day or so ago. The Decals looked to be perfect. I did think to make a copy of them to have. Good thing. They splintered horribly. I put on some of the decal sealer, but i guess I did not put enough of it on them. Still falling apart. The plan is to make some additional coats of the sealer, see how that goes and make what I need too for replacements.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote:

The Shooting Star had very sleek and clean lines when no tip tanks or ordnance was hung off her... such a sharp looking bird! :wub:

Sorry to hear about the decals...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote:Thanks, Portman. Aren't we all harder on ourselves? On this one, the paint did not come out as I had wanted. But, it was a filler project, so not too worried about that. Bigger problem showed up a day or so ago. The Decals looked to be perfect. I did think to make a copy of them to have. Good thing. They splintered horribly. I put on some of the decal sealer, but i guess I did not put enough of it on them. Still falling apart. The plan is to make some additional coats of the sealer, see how that goes and make what I need too for replacements.
I feel your pain Lyle - I love old kits, I hate old decals! I hope you manage to get them sorted.

And yes, I agree - we are all our own worst critics! :chair:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stik, thanks. As "old school" as the P80 looked - straight wings, etc., she was still a classic design. I think a perfect I'll polish it out a bit and see if that helps the finish.

I hope i don't have to buy a set. I have everything i need to make the exact sheet. We'll see.

Good thing this is fun, huh?
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

As I've gotten older, what little patience I had is diminishing. So, time to do decals. As I said earlier, they splintered horribly. Saved some with MicroScale Liquid Decal Film and printed some others. The "USAF" was a major casualty. The paper I bought (clear) is outstanding. Looks like it was painted.

More later.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”