1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5

Post by Stuart »

VanceCrozier wrote:Most of the time I don't mind a 1/72 kit with decal instruments - with the canopy closed, most can't be seen all that well anyway. I even took a look around for aftermarket replacements for that instrument panel - nothing available yet unfortunately. Touchups & closed canopy should do the trick.
That should be fine, I'm sure it'll look great. I often find sticking the pilot in helps as you generally can't see anything past them anyway.

Actually I've been thinking about what to do for this GB and you've inspired me a bit with this choice - I really fancy a new tool jet - I have the A-4B Skyhawk or F.2A Lightning in the stash that might fit the bill :hmm:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

portman wrote:
VanceCrozier wrote:Most of the time I don't mind a 1/72 kit with decal instruments - with the canopy closed, most can't be seen all that well anyway. I even took a look around for aftermarket replacements for that instrument panel - nothing available yet unfortunately. Touchups & closed canopy should do the trick.
That should be fine, I'm sure it'll look great. I often find sticking the pilot in helps as you generally can't see anything past them anyway.
yeah, thats what I do too. Nothin helps spruce up an otherwise "blah" cockpit than a fancy little figure :FM:
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

But that fancy little figure will cover up the bang-seat!! Nahh, touchups only, I plan on leaving the canopy closed anyway. portman - those Lightnings are great looking kits as well. I expect I'll be building one myself after the Swift is put to bed.
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Snuck some bench time in last night, pics will be taken tonight before I get back into build mode.
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

I found these for sale in some online outlets but the orice was a bit higher than usual for Airfix... :Beaver:
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Manny1943 wrote:I found these for sale in some online outlets but the orice was a bit higher than usual for Airfix... :Beaver:
My supplier had it listed at $22 Canadian. Not cheap-cheap, but reasonable. (PM inbound)
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

looking :quotes: Swift :quotes: ...

See what I did there??? :lashed:
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Had to get out the beatin' stick last night on this one. I was about to say "over-engineered", in the style of some Eduard kits, as every part has a very definite place to slot into. Great, if it all lines up. I'm not sure how I would have built it any differently, but, my cockpit tub was too wide, causing some problems further on down the line.

:scream:

gap, underside

gap, topside

Coming together, needed several sessions of finger-squeezing the rounded areas & clamping the flatter areas, while applying Tamiya's Extra Thin cement. Love that stuff, needed it here. You'll notice that I've created my own secondary problem though, the IP and shroud are NOT in place. My cockpit tub, as narrow as it was, was too wide to give me a good attachment point. But fitting the tub was so difficult that adding that part to the inside of one fuselage half was also out of the question.

The compressor fan face & trunking, fit in there just so. Probably a good thing it was engineered this way, gave me more surfaces to attach the cranky fuselage halves to, less risk of them pulling apart I supposed.

Decent recovery considering I was seconds away from drifting this thing across the room. Note the glue-y fingerprint. Of course.

Wings were a straight-forward bottom section & 2 upper halves. Starting to look like a Swift now. Reminding me again that I really DO like the shape of this machine.

Slight step at the rear of that lower wing section. Kinda surprised there wasn't a bit of styrene for it to sit on. That being said, if I wasn't in such a foul mood I would have added a tab myself.

And a slight gap at the front, nothing serious though.

Ready for a putty & sanding session today. After all that, most joins are pretty close, but need some help before three paint starts flying.
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Nice save!!! :shoutout:

BUTT---very unusual for the new-tool Airfix kits to fit this poorly. I'm blaming that :quotes: SNAFU :quotes: on you... :ballbat:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Way to stick with it.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “2015 Big Airfix Groupie GB”