Safety first

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stikpusher

Re: Safety first

Post by Stikpusher »

Riding in the back of a pick up truck... Check
Uses enamel paints... Check

;)
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

Stikpusher wrote:Nothing... :hmm: I have made it to this point with nothing worse than the occasional xacto cut or super glued together fingers... :whistle: Why change now :Beaver:

:that: :stupid: :Beer:
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

And if I'm feeling really reckless, I'll have a drink as I model... :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Noticed our European friends across this great big pond are more hobby safety oriented than us Americans? LOL! Not that it's a bad thing.... :dancing:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Perhaps it has to do with their having more environmental awareness there. From my times in Germany I remember that recyclables were divided into multiple separate catatgories and appropriate bins. Very orderly.
I will confess to putting on a bandana as a dust mask when I use my Dremel with resin due to the dust that throws off. But no such clouds are created hand sanding so I don't bother. :bag:

FLSM
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Yup... We're rebels in this hobby when it comes to safety. Kinda like drinking water from a garden hose and riding a bike without a helmet when we were kids. We bad to the bone!!!

Hold your horses! Riding a bike without a helmet is still the national standard in the Netherlands. Especially when grown up. If you see an adult with a helmet on riding a normal bike (not a race model) you know he is foreign.

Take a look at this video from 4:00

http://youtu.be/Il1IGKaol_M

As for environmental, yes that is typical stuff. We separate compostables, paper, plastic, glass and cans.
ImageImageImageImageImage
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Post by tigrazor »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Noticed our European friends across this great big pond are more hobby safety oriented than us Americans? LOL! Not that it's a bad thing.... :dancing:
Of course. Ive seen - for example - an F-150 truck with a full oad of gas bottles on the back. And the armatures were screwed on! I wondered if he wanted to make a hollywood movie or needed some extra throttle? :D

:boom:
"Did you really pay a big amount of money for only half a figure?!"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002809527929
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

The only "safety" item I use, is latex gloves when airbrushing. Actually, I only use them because I have a habit of painting my hands as well as my subject. :whistle:

Otherwise, I try not to eat resin dust, glue my eyes shut, or stick myself in the leg when my Xacto rolls away (again)
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Not much PPE myself,I will use my 3M respirator when I spray enamel primer or paints,or lacquer.Also disposable gloves when I spray sometimes.But I probably should protect my eyes.
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

If im using smely things, I turn on my fan....thats about it! :rofl:
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others

Return to “Modeling Discussion”