Hobby Boss Kraz-255B Russian Truck

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
dmminiatures
Master Member

Re: Hobby Boss Kraz-255B Russian Truck

Post by dmminiatures »

Thanks Stikpusher

The Tires
Next are two images showing the the tires. You get six road wheel and one spare (total of 7). They are made of vinyl, I primed them with Mr. Surafacer Black 1000 and painted them XF-85 Rubber Black.

Word of caution, the primer and paint gets easily chipped off because of touching. So the fix is to handle it with care, use a skewer or rod to hold the axle of the wheel, or if you do have to touch them, do it sparingly.

Here is a comparison of before and after the tires are weathered. the tire on the right is washed/weathered with a combination MIG.1702 Turned Earth, 1620 PLW Dust, 1621 PLW Shadow for Desert Brown, 1622 PLW Ochre for Sand Camo, mixed together and applied with a brush. I used Tamiya enamel thinner to reduce its concentration.

Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

How the Kraz-255B looks from a distance with the cabin and chassis put together.

The cabin is short of filters, which I will do next after I can install the wheels.

Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Tire Installation
Before I install to tires, it was important for me to weather the bottom part of the mud guard. I used the same MIG pigments and weathering products as for the tires and other parts of the model

I used a simple splatter effect by loading a brush full of the pigment/wash mix and start unloading them on to the surface.

A glimps of the slightly muddy underside of the front fenders of a Kraz-255B

Monty / dmminiatures
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Monty the weathering/staining you have been doing on recent vehicles such as this one look fantastic! Looking forward to seeing this one come together my friend!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Excellent job on weathering the undersides! I’m gonna have to try that technique sometime...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Thanks Stikpusher and Handiabled. its really nice to work on a kit that gives you less hassle, but instead helps you get the project done. LOL
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

How the final look of the front mud guard looks from below.

Not much is going to be seen once the truck is placed upright. (Pardon the big ugly finger print!)

All the tires and lower part of the chassis is weathered. its just easier done this way before the cargo bed is installed.

A close up image of the rear wheels. definitely the weathering is half-done. i need to add more variation in color and texture to the tires.

Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

How the truck looks like with the driver's cabin and all the wheels in place

A close up of the engine area with the bonnet/hood installed. its not glued so you can open and close it to show off the engine.

Monty / dmminiatures
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, stunning work! I might have to try that idea of weathering before putting on the truck bed.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Duke Maddog wrote:Wow, stunning work! I might have to try that idea of weathering before putting on the truck bed.
I knew that because I didn't weather the underside of the driver's cabin and now it proved to be difficult! oh well lesson learned.
Monty / dmminiatures

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”