1/350 Dragon USS Spruance

Beginning August 1,2019 and ending who knows when....All things floaty sailing under the American flag.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Re: 1/350 Dragon USS Spruance

Post by Modelcrazy »

I started this puppy last night. The hull didn't have any locating pins but went together well. There were some fairly large seams but I don't care since it will be in a seascape. I used sprue goo to fill and glue them.
The whole kit looks pretty easy even with PE. I might even get this done by our show time in mid Sep. :hmm:
I do know whatever I bring to the table I might be facing a 1/200 Arizona....again...different one being built by a friend of mine.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Done with that in a matter of a couple of months????? Wow!! That's unbelievable!

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you with that Arizona as a competitor Steve. I have a feeling based off of the last few builds that I've seen out of you that you'll do just fine.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice to see this one started! I just love the late Cold War ships of Regan’s “600 ship” US Navy. What a grand fleet! Nuclear carriers and missile armed battleship battle groups. :ballbat:

As far competition goes, look at it this way, you and your friends Arizona May be the only two entries in the category... then you’re guaranteed at least a second place. :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

LOL good point Carlos. I came in third at EagleQuest behind EdGrune (1st) and a you guessed it, 1/200 Zona (2nd)
Mine are the 1/700 Scharnhorst and the 1/700 Kirishima DDG
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I got a little more done tonight. I assembled most of the superstructure but have several bits still to add. I need to fill some joins and start adding the PE.

I will start working on the base soon but decided to try a different material. My usual go to is the hard white Styrofoam.

My #2 pick if the hard Styrofoam is not available is the normal Styrofoam.

my least favorite is the green florist foam, but I have heard good things about the blue insulation foam.

It costs around $24 for a large sheet which equals six of the large normal Styrofoam sheets I usually use for around $12 ea. So I'm going to try this stuff on this build.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Go for it! Two thumbs up! And yes, I’m following along here. I was looking at photos of the USS Spruance earlier!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

This is really an interesting project to follow!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The superstructure is coming along well. Looks like you’re making rapid progress there. :shoutout:

Where do you find those sheets of foam for your bases? That stuff looks like it work for the packing materials that I need. :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Stik, I got that large sheet from Lowe's for around $24. The others I get from Hobby Lobby with the 40% coupon. Even at that, the blue stuff is a far better deal.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The stuff in the top picture looks like what I want. What part of HL stocks the stuff?

FLSM

Return to “Ships of the American Flag”