Avia S.199 - 1/48 Hobbycraft

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Re: Avia S.199 - 1/48 Hobbycraft

Post by VanceCrozier »

Manny1943 wrote:Hobbycraft 109 is actually a pretty decent kit for the number of parts...your first foray in quarter scale?

On the 20mm wing pods, I'd just replace the plastic barrels w some fine tubing...

Nope, not at all. Not even my first shot at 109s in 1/48:

Revell from a few years ago:

Hasegawa from... ?5? years back??

Probably 1/4 of my stash is 1/48 scale. I've just always had storage issues, so 1/72 is easier to deal with.
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Allllllright - so, actually made some progress this weekend.

Wing unit assembled after a dry-fit reveals that it's a near-perfect fit. Various attachment point holes have been drilled out, BUT I realized after the fact that I didn't cut out what appears to be a landing light in the wing? I was NOT looking for that on this Czech-built bird.

Dipped the clear parts in a bath of Future cut with isopropyl alcohol… VERY nice result, smoother than usual & super-clear. (I've been using the same bottle of Future for at least a decade. I only open the big bottle long enough to re-stock my small bottle, so it hasn't gone off, but I suppose, inevitably, it has gotten a little thicker?)

So, the cannon gondolas… barrels were separated from the pod while on the sprue, the only parts damage I came across.

I may be able to steal a fresh pair from an Academy kit I have in the stash, orrrrr, cut/slice/drill out...

and prep some brass tubing. Slightly thicker than the styrene, but it'll have the tube cross-section.

Cockpit assembly, mostly assembled.

Assembled & washed, a few touchups to do & need to add a little paintwork to the fuel line.
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well done, sir. Well done. I think one of the modeler's greatest joys is when something fits like it should.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Thanks Lyle! Once the cockpit is finished up, this build should really pick up pace. Hoping to have it finished before I flip the calendar over to 2015.
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Wow...this is waaaaay faster than I've ever seen you work on...anything...!!!

Check email for more refs that might be helpful...
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Received, mein herr - danka!
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Manny1943 wrote:Wow...this is waaaaay faster than I've ever seen you work on...anything...!!!
:stupid:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

Love that pit Vance! And interesting to see you work in 1/48. Did you get a bigger kitchen table?
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Have the same good kit in my pile. Watching with interest!
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Kermit wrote:Love that pit Vance! And interesting to see you work in 1/48. Did you get a bigger kitchen table?

NOPE!!! But, I just cleared off a pair of 1/72 kits, and started up a 1/48, so I'm using the same amount of real estate!

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”