1/48 Hasegawa Pearl Harbor Zero (Niihau Incident) FINISHED

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
mostrich
Admin

Re: 1/48 Hasegawa Pearl Harbor Zero (Niihau Incident) WIP

Post by mostrich »

Huh, did I miss the latest Lawdog-build?
I just can tell you again: I looooove you cockpit work and what you can pull out of these putative boring Japanese schemes.
And also again: I have to get me a Zero kit. Period.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

Just another great build, Joe. More, please.
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Thanks folks for the kind words. I do believe I'm finished. To recap, its the Hasegawa A6M2 Model 21 in the markings of Petty Officer 1st Class Shigenori Nishikaichi off the carrier Hiryu on the morning of December 7th 1941. The scene is depicted just before take off, as if Nishikaiachi had posed for a quick picture before jumping into the cockpit. At least that's what I was going for....

Reference the kit itself, its nice but has wing root issues. My advice is to glue the upper wings to the wing roots first. I used the controversial XF-76 Grey Green to represent the "Ame-hiro" color of the early Zeros. These planes were fairly new so I kept weathering to a minimum. I even left a slight sheen on the plane to depict this. The plane received engine wiring and brake lines from fuse wire and the only aftermarket addition was an Ultracast seat. The decals are a mixture of the kit's sheet and Berna. The pilot is one of the four choices that came with the Tamiya A6M5 I built last year. The "chunk" of Hiryu was taken from a illustration I found online. I painted cardboard stock to replicate this particular section. It's a tad one dimensional but it was much cheaper than those aftermarket bases.

Notes regarding the pilot: Figure painting is not my strong point. As I said, it's one of the pilot figures in the new tooled Tamiya Zero series. These are nicely detailed and I brush painted my example with Tamiya Paints using the side of the box as reference (glad I saved it). It was then washed with a brown Detailer wash. This may or may not be the same uniform the pilots wore at Pearl Harbor. I doubt they changed much. I had read that Japanese pilots carried ceremonial Samurai swords, so I chose to include this.

The said Illustration of the Hiryu deck. I opted to replicate the area with the green circle.

.......and The "snapshot"..

Reality...

The rest...

Thanks for following The D3A1 Val that George Welch shot down is coming soon too.

Joe
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Hasegawa Pearl Harbor Zero (Niihau Incident) FINISH

Post by KSaarni »

What a magnificent "ensemble" Joe!

1) A beautiful built, painted and "used" Zero
2) An extremely detailed pilot in every way (i would say that is now your strong point)
3) All on a simple, but yet so powerful diorama

Will you participate in some competition with this? It is so good looking build!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Very convincing little scene, Joe. I like that you tell us something about the idea that led to this vignette and how you implemented it.

Maybe one day you'll tell us bigger or should I say diorama filling storys?! :wink:
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Joe, this is a piece of art. Certainly museum quality!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Nice wrap-up on this MOFO. Figure is pretty good and base is not bad. Overall effect is outstanding...
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Thanks folks...
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Great build there lawdog114, love that backstory too. Interesting stuff for sure.
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Very nice build Lawdog! :dogwag:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”