FM 1/72 Bf109K-4,9JG 77 White 1, Düsseldorf, Germany, 1945.

mustang1989

Re: FM 1/72 Bf109K-4,9JG 77 White 1, Düsseldorf, Germany, 19

Post by mustang1989 »

Don't worry about the mix up Bruce. I think we've all done stuff like that. :giggles:
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I am definitely basing this off of the very first profile of White 1 you posted, John! Thank you so much. The only issue I have is there seems to be no antenna mast in the photo...
I am thinking about asking the “Flugzeug” forum for details but if you have any ideas, please I can use em. I asked Carlos and Marius, too.
mustang1989 wrote:Don't worry about the mix up Bruce. I think we've all done stuff like that. :giggles:
Thank you so much for understanding....
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

There was some variability in the wire aerial attachment on the K-4. Unlike previous models, most K-4's did not have a antenna mast and the aerial connected directly to the top of the fuselage just aft of the cockpit opening, going through the loop the antenna. However, there were exceptions and it looks like your White 1 is one of those exceptions. The antenna mast arm is located on the rear top edge of the canopy and you can see it in the photo you posted of White 1... it's on the opened canopy, not the fuselage.

One color reference that you could use for this build is the preserved Bf109G-6 at the Australian War Museum. It is the only existing 109 still carrying its original colors. It's particularly relevant to the K-4 in that it exhibits the high demarcation and side mottles characteristic of the camo pattern from the Regensberg factory that was also used on early K-4's. It is referenced in my JaPo Bf109K Camouflage and Markings book.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aircraft/ ... al-487589/
https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkar ... hp?wid=133
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

The Gold

You bring me gold, John. That photo(s) is(are) everything. My planning goes like this—finish the cockpit IP and second lap belt then assemble the fuselage. Yesterday I made a sketch thinking I want to get that soft pastel blue which is late war and somehow not have it harden as various coats of weathering, gloss and clear go on it. No idea but I do think I will start with the cowling/engine section and assemble for silver basing, followed by late war sky blue in a sectional approach, then whatever the sky blue which looks light green is in the center, up the sides, followed by the grey top camo. I know it’s all technically camo but the grey top camo now makes sense as a preliminary stripe! Then follow it with squiggles.
What are your thoughts?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well....we’re waiting!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I got a eagle editions book on late war 109s I'll see what I can't find for you Bruce.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

It doesn't have any info about white 1 but I would still recommend getting it for late war 109s. Over half the book is walk around photos including cockpit of the G6 in Australia that John mentioned. But also in depth on the camo colors that it wears.
Eagle Editions, Eagle Files #3 Augsburg's Last Eagles
Colors, Markings and variants
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

The fuselage fits with precision, and the areas where connections are made to the sprues are logically planned and practically require no finesse. Really. Incredible. If Eduard studied this... I have two frames aft where I sanded and polished, but that cowling is in three pieces and fits together perfectly. My plan is to mask the interior side walls to deal with these later and get on with the exterior. The cockpit will drop in from the bottom, and all that holds the cowling together are a few drops of PVA. I plan to mask and prime white the engine area and propellor hub. Then make a wee mask for the white stripe based on a tracing I made of the decal. Then on to the blue. I’m going for a very light blue, pastel and soft.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That really looks sharp! I know you are excited!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Painting that scheme in 1/72 will be an exercise in practicality. There are some adjustments that you'll have to make as the small size of the model will limit your ability to freehand the camo patterns. The important thing is to get to that point and gain some experience with laying down camouflage colors with your airbrush. I'll support whatever path you decide to go.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Messerschmitt 2019 Group Build”