1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5

VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Re: 1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5

Post by VanceCrozier »

Manny1943 wrote:Nice save!!! :shoutout:

BUTT---very unusual for the new-tool Airfix kits to fit this poorly. I'm blaming that :quotes: SNAFU :quotes: on you... :ballbat:

Entirely likely sir. BUT... I really have no idea how I could have made that cockpit tub any narrower. The sidewalls & lower section are dove-tailed, so they HAVE to fit in that way. I've missed something. :bag:

ALSO... the nose landing gear bay is attached to the cockpit tub. Maybe this was too high or low, making alignment an issue? Shouldn't have affected anything side-to-side, but if the cockpit tub didn't line up with the notches/tabs they had built into the fuselage....

I dunno. I'm going for a coffee & hoping it all works out. :whistle:
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

VanceCrozier wrote:
Manny1943 wrote:Nice save!!! :shoutout:

BUTT---very unusual for the new-tool Airfix kits to fit this poorly. I'm blaming that :quotes: SNAFU :quotes: on you... :ballbat:

Entirely likely sir. BUT... I really have no idea how I could have made that cockpit tub any narrower. The sidewalls & lower section are dove-tailed, so they HAVE to fit in that way. I've missed something. :bag:
:ballbat:
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

LyleW wrote:Way to stick with it.

Thanks Lyle, it was touch & go there for awhile. But considering the scarcity of these kits right now, I figured ditching the whole thing, even temporarily, would have resulted in an angry mob of SPAM members in my front yard today.

:ballbat: :ballbat: :DI: :ballbat: :dancing: :ballbat: :DH: :ballbat: :ballbat: :ggun:
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

You are probably right. Buy several more and see if it is the kit.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Well.... my local-ist guy IS still showing one in stock. Unless Manny has jumped on it?

And truth be told, I've put more work into worse kits, to get poorer results. But, I just wasn't looking for problems like that from the NEW new-tool AIRFIX. I think Manny should get one, build it properly, just to prove that I did in deed bugger this one up all on my own! :giggles:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

OOOOOH sounds like a throwdown to me! Manny vs Vance. Airfix Swift build off. :dancing: :dancing:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

LyleW wrote:OOOOOH sounds like a throwdown to me! Manny vs Vance. Airfix Swift build off. :dancing: :dancing:
Maybe when those new SMILEYS hit the Forum... :bored:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:what: Wait.... Manny not committing to an Airfix Swift Build-off challenge!?! The world wonders... :popcorn:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

He's gotta HAVE one, to build it. Manny is also a fairly restrained tactician, preferring to avoid a multiple battlefront situation.
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

VanceCrozier wrote:He's gotta HAVE one, to build it. Manny is also a fairly restrained tactician, preferring to avoid a multiple battlefront situation.
True, I'm somewhat averse to a two-front war...BUTT, if those SMILEEZ showed up as reinforcements... :whistle:

Return to “2015 Big Airfix Groupie GB”