1/350 Dragon USS Chevalier Finished

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Re: 1/350 Dragon USS Chevalier WIP

Post by Fermis »

Spent all of yesterdays bench time adding tiny bits to this ship. I feel like I added 100 pieces, and nothing changed. Very tedious work, especially trying to clean up the snip points. Words, I can not repeat, were spoken.

Question now...I painted all the guns black....cuz...guns are black! The bigger guns though...should they be black???

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I'm sure someone with more naval experience will confirm or correct me, but I believe the smaller guns can remain black. They are 20mm guns. The larger 40mm guns were typically painted grey along with the rest of the ship. Again, get confirmation before following anything I say.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

I've gotten about as far as I can with this (aside from rigging...), until my order shows up.

It kinda boggles my mind that they'd include the tiniest PE details...but no rails. So, I have to wait for my order for rails and chain to show up before I can finish it. In the mean time...

Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Did some rigging...pretty much guess work here.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks like you're nearing the finish line here! She's shaping into a real beauty.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

That's looking pretty sweet! Still waiting on the rails?

It's been years since I've done a ship kit. In fact, I've been wanting to build a destroyer or two my dad was on when he was in the Navy. Thing is, I'm not sure which class it is. He was on both USS Wadleigh and USS Courtney. So many changes in the destroyer features back then. He was in service between Wars - Korea and Vietnam.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stunning work Fermis! You're a braver man than I Gunga Din!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:That's looking pretty sweet! Still waiting on the rails?

It's been years since I've done a ship kit. In fact, I've been wanting to build a destroyer or two my dad was on when he was in the Navy. Thing is, I'm not sure which class it is. He was on both USS Wadleigh and USS Courtney. So many changes in the destroyer features back then. He was in service between Wars - Korea and Vietnam.
Have you tried looking those ships up to see what class they were? Yes those were years for big changes to US Navy warships. Missiles were introduced for anti aircraft weapons, along with ASROC, ships were rebuilt to hardly resemble their former selves... About the only thing that stayed constant was the paint scheme- Haze Gray with White shadow shade hull numbers.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I did do a bit of research and have gotten some inquiries on which ship kit to use.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Thanks dudes!
This one is ready to sail!

Got the PE rails in yesterday...got started, and finished em up today.
That stuff is a PITA to work with...ya barely touch it and it get all assouttawhack.
I managed though...I think it makes a huge difference!

Here's something dumb! I cut the flag from the "decal" sheet...soaked it...waited...waited...waited some more. It would not come free from the paper. Turns out, it's just a sticker...not a decal!

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”