Hobby Boss Kraz-255B Russian Truck

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
dmminiatures
Master Member

Re: Hobby Boss Kraz-255B Russian Truck

Post by dmminiatures »

PE Bits
The kit contains a lot of PE parts. Some of them need to be glued at the beginning of the construction phase and some had to be installed later on. some of the PE are simple straight objects like the fenders but others are complicated like this Jerrycan holder.

I used Mr. Metal Primer for the PE prior to painting them. they can be brushed on or airbrushed. they smell really bad so use a respirator or hold your breath! I lost some of the connectors while attempting to solder the PE together and instead replaced them with bits of sheet styrene.

Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Working on the Camouflage
Some say modern Russian green is boring. So I decided to go with the camouflage pattern that I saw on the reference photos. it looks very interesting as it seem that the pattern was applied with a brush by the crew, perhaps in the field.

Pretty much, the camo on the actual vehicle looks like this:

I used masking as the best way to approach the patterns. I cut some some masking tape with different patterns, and them mix and match them up according to my needs.

Monty / dmminiatures
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I’m liking the interesting scheme! Well done!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Cherrylock
Addicted Member

Post by Cherrylock »

very good build, like the work of dirt
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Brilliant job on the camouflage Monty! Nice idea.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

This just keeps on getting better and better... :popcorn:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

BlackSheep214 wrote:I’m liking the interesting scheme! Well done!
I thought so Duke and Blacksheep. It gives an interesting alternative to the monotone green
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Stikpusher wrote:This just keeps on getting better and better... :popcorn:
I havent included the rust effects yet, Stikpusher. let's see how it looks after that.
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Filters
The filter bit started with selecting the artist oil paint that would help achieve the look in the photograph.

I chose the more yellowish hue and started to make small dot on the surface. I didn't coat the base acrylic paint with gloss coat. I just added the airtist oils directly.

With a brush loaded with Tamiya enamel thinner, I started blending the dots into a very thin layer. hopefully it would help lightly shift the basic green to a more yellowish color.

the intensity of the shift depends on the size of the dots, the quantity of the donts, and how much enamel thinners used to blend the colors together

Monty / dmminiatures
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow! Brilliant idea! I might have to try that with some of my models sometime soon. I love the effect you get with it!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”