Revell 1/24 Porsche RS-60: Don Wester, Monterey Racing Team

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
Stikpusher

Re: Revell 1/24 Porsche RS-60: Don Wester, Monterey Racing T

Post by Stikpusher »

Isn’t that what Mr Musk says he is sending up into space on the Falcon Heavy Rocket?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Isn’t that what Mr Musk says he is sending up into space on the Falcon Heavy Rocket?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

When you’re that rich, you can pretty much do as you please...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hard to fault your line of reasoning, Carlos. Nuts! As a practical line of action this certainly calls into question what his aims are—perhaps to launch a Tesla into space is for him the ultimate vanity? He stated that his greatest fear is not for the car or the rocket—but the damage to the launching pad if the rocket does not "work," and stalls out, so adding the car as the rocket's payload is a branding stunt, not a practical supply launch. He could dummy up supplies, then add as many sensors as he wants to garner any useful insight into the process of sending objects into space.

Question—when you have to fill a circular depression or sinkhole—in this case one caused by the interior structure of posts that hold the set screws—the depression is on the outside, centered in the hood, what is a good method? I need to do a slight fill, but it's in an area that is high exposure. Is this time to order "Mr Sufacer" in the jar? If so, how do you use this? If not so, what are your ideas? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by speedgraflex on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well a Tesla roadster sure is a classy dummy payload. And yes, I’m sure there is a touch of vanity involved. But they do have to put something up there for weight.

As far as filling the sink marks goes, depending upon the size- diameter and depth, I’d most likely opt for gel CA. Mr Surfacer usually is best for only tiny work of that sort, and even then usually takes repeated applications. The first time rarely gets it properly.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Sending a Tesla into space is symbolic of something, just not sure what the something would be and the set up with the car at an angle as though being driven by an invisible man seems odd. Does the photograph remind you of the frame when Obi-Wan turned off the tractor beam in the original "Star Wars" or is this just me?

Thanks for the tip using CA.
Greatly appreciated.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Musk can launch anything he wants....repeatedly :shoutout: :grin: .....if "that" rocket company didn't have a blanket NDA with my employer I could probably say we make components for each of the Merlin engines.....I could also say that 3 or 4 parts of the prototype Raptor methane powered engine that was fired last year have my fingerprints on them......I could say that, but I didn't... :whistle:
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Happy New Year, Scruffy! I assume you are writing about a company in Colorado whose cofounder broke the speed record in a steam driven automobile way back in 1985. Whew. That was a long sentence. What is sad and threatening to me is when credit is not given properly to those hired by another company: that is usually a case of ego running the show. Thank you for the sharply observant satire of Big Business. Remember the X-Files show going on and on about the Truth? Thank you for a dose of Truth.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

NDAs... I had to sign one of those for Uncle Sam years ago... :whistle: it’s not, I could tell ya, but then I’d have to kill ya.... it’s I could tell ya, bet then I’d have to go to jail....

Bruce, that Tesla photo does have a bit of a resemblence to the tractor beam controls... coincidence? I think not... :giggles: Could Elon Musk be a Sith or an Imperial? Well he sure has a good Star Wars sounding name...

Scruffy, it’s nice to work at a place like that. Years ago I worked at MDAC, long before they were gobbled up by Boeing. During my walk thrus of the plant I would see Delta rockets, and other such space hardware in various stages of assembly. It was such a grand feeling to know that you were part of such a task, no matter how miniscule one’s role in the big scheme of those things.

FLSM
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Yeah, The NDA is a funny thing, we are not suppose to say we make parts for them specifically by name :headslap: ......that's fine. The big thing is that it is Export Controlled Technology, which is Federally Protected, that is the part you have to take seriously, and we do, and also kinda makes their NDA feel a bit redundant.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”