Stuart's Builds - Tornado Finished - almost.

tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's Builds

Post by tempestjohnny »

Interested to see how this compares to the Hasegawa EF-111 I have
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stuart wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:56 pm Well the Sparkvark turned up yesterday - I have to say I'm quite impressed with what I've seen.

Only one marking option, but Monogram included two sets of decals, and for some reason two canopies.

Looking forward to getting on with this one - I've wanted to build a Raven for a while, it'll go well with the Hasegawa Aardvark I got for Christmas.
Hey now... that's Lyle's dream kit having 2 decal sets of the same plus a bonus 2nd canopy since he sometimes has a habit of losing a canopy. :whistle: :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I’d get the kit with no decals and no banopy besausethey gave to Stuart!

May have to get one though. Don’t have a 111.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
LyleW wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:31 pm I’d get the kit with no decals and no banopy besausethey gave to Stuart!

May have to get one though. Don’t have a 111.
Simple solution, you can have my spares!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, pal!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Sorry I've not yet made a start on this - I hope too soon, I'm still waiting for the Tornado to turn up. I did actually win the bid for the RAF/NATO weapons set though so that's good.

I can't find much about the Tornado on the internet, so it'll be interesting to see what the kit is like when it finally turns up.

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's Builds - Tornado Started

Post by Stuart »

So I made a start on the Tornado a few days ago. It's not a bad kit, if rather old. The main issue with the kit having looked at it is that its's not a RAF GR.1 type, or an German or Italian ECR or IDS -= asides from not having the various pods and chin sensors it also doesn't have the IFR probe. It is in fact an early production model supplied to the ''Tri-National Tornado Training Establishment'' (TTTE), set up to train the crew before the aircraft entered service - if anything you could say it's a GR.1 (T).

That being said, the decals look very usable so I'll build what's in the kit. The only other thing about TTTE aircraft if they flew completely slick, so all the pylons and weapons are completely superfluous.

Here's the box...

And what was in the box - part started (he'd assembled the wings) by the previous owner...

I've done a relatively quick job of painting up the cockpit...

And this is were it stands now - overall, asides from a crap fit of the cockpit, it's gone together well.

It's pretty good thus far - on a par with the Airfix kit but better detail (ish)

Cheers!

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Smart looking work on the cockpit! You is a wizard!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Lyle!

It's just a wash over the painted parts, a matt coat and then a few instruments picked out in black with a cocktail stick. The seats are just painted. Monogram did quite a nice job of them.

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Monogram did that a lot with their kits. Most of them are based on the prototype or pre-production aircraft. Great start on the Tornado Stuart!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”