LyleW's C-54

Primarily the Revell of Germany C-54 Skymaster in 1/72 scale. But, any c-54 is welcome. Come one, come all.

Date: February 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. But, let's just have some fun and build this classic.
LyleW
Admin

Re: LyleW's C-54

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:Paint the inside any color that you like. As long as it is Interior Green.
Great advice, Mr. Ford! :giggles: I did break out the airbrush, dialed back the pressure and had a rather pleasant experience...But i digress.

Not sure what happened, but I tried to touch up with a brush...won't matter in the long run, though.

Webbed seating - called for red-brown I had hull red, so that is what I used. Neener, neener. A lot of "trimming" in aluminum though. This, times two.

Changed a couple of settings on the camera. A little better, I think.

On the outside chance that you may see something through the 3mm window in the side of the fuselage, I applied, okay, slopped....some paint on.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I wonder why not khaki or OD for the seat webbing? :hmm: I remember red webbing from modern aircraft that I’ve been on, but I wonder how long that has been in use...
The hull red looks good though.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Good question, Carlos. Mine is not to reason why....OD would make some sense, but so would the buff or khaki - assuming it was a similar webbing to what was used to make harnesses...
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ah well, it adds a nice splash of color in there.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Looks very similar to the Airfix DC-3 I've got on the shelf!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well they are cousins, with both being made by Douglas Aircraft.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:lashed: This is very true! :grin: (I'd actually forgotten the C-54 is a DC-4)

However, in this case I was just referring to the pointless and never to be seen internal structures in both kits :grin:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Say, "Goodnight." Gracie...to which she replied, "Goodnight, Gracie."

The interior is going night-night. The seat assembly and placement has been the poorest fit and such, so far. Thinking about it, perhaps I should have installed the seat bottoms first and then, after drying overnight, added the backs. The bottoms had some very shallow "holes" to position the front legs. Not a bad exercise to get a chance at messing with small parts.

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I will learn from your build Lyle. Carry on.
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Carrying on, as requested. One thing I've done on this is dry fit just about everything...I usually just apply glue and then figure it out. Some of the mounting points are a bit hard to see, well, for me anyway...so the dry fitting was quite useful. And, given how the seat backs seemed to fight me, If I do another AND IF I choose to do the interior, I'll not paint until installed.

Return to “C-54 Skymaster”