Airfix 1/32 17 Pounder

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
speedgraflex

Re: Airfix 1/32 17 Pounder

Post by speedgraflex »

I am eager to see the layers of color coats. Am I the only one seeing the subtle irony of an incredible Tank Builder with one of the best Tank Killers on his bench? Tigers beware! Perhaps the “Cat Attack” last year precipitated a build up of forces! p.s. Carlos, is photo 1 a 6-pounder?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Irony? :hmm: Nah... I was a tank killer myself once upon a time... :ballbat:

Yes, the top photo is a 6 Pounder. The others look to be 17 Pounders.

And no, the big cats had nothing to do with this subject choice. I don’t think that I’ve built a towed artillery piece in 20 years now, so I was overdue...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:Thanks guys. I’m looking forward to getting the green on next. I found a mix using Tamiya colors to create the Brit version of OD. We shall see.

Kari, that looks like a book that I’d love to read. That is one of those battles that fascinates me, and I like to read whatever that I find on the subject. I would love to visit there one day.
I remember at the last Orangecon/Mini Wars convention I got to play a 28mm game depicting the Arnhem battle. It went almost exactly the same way the real battle went.

Everything is looking great so far Carlos! Keep it going man!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well yesterday I finally had a chance to get back at my workbench, and the rain had stopped... so perfect weather for airbrushing.

First up, I mixed up a batch of SCC 15, the British army version of Olive Drab adopted in WWII. I used a Tamiya paints using a mix formula that I found online by the same guy who had done the same thing years ago using Humbrol enamels. I mixed up one batch and gave it a test run on an older build of the Italeri Kangaroo Priest that I am currently overhauling/rebuilding. The mix came out great, and is almost exactly the same as the Xtracolor version of SCC 15 that I bought years ago and used on my Firefly and Cromwell builds....

Here is how it looks on the Kangaroo

anyways, I then mixed up a second batch using the exact same formula, thinned way down, and went to work on my black based 17 Pdr. I dialed my air pressure way down and went to work. It took quite some time and I need to have another look at it, but I think that it came out ok so far. Not great, could use improvement, but not terrible...

Anyways, daylight was fading, here are two photos, with and without flash....

I’ll see what the lighting today holds in store...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looks good. Raining here yesterday and today. More rain than not.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

That looks lovely. Now, am I correct that this is your first Black Basing trial run? I believe you’re early in adding this technique to your repertoire, insofar as I recall reading. Anyhow, you nailed it. You’ve got a lot of nice depth here, and in my subjective opinion, you’ve achieved an excellent level of modulation in the sense that it is indeed there, but it doesn’t stand out shouting “LOOK AT MEEEEE, I’M RIGHT HERE!” in an obnoxious voice. RATHER, it says, confidently but quietly “I belong just where I am” and THAT’s what I’m always shooting for. You’ve achieved it here. You’ve got your base of realism right here, and the creative, imaginative, “art” aspect of it is existing in perfect harmony with it.

Very nicely-done. I love it.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Kenny. This is my third go at black basing. First time was on the Leopard that I built last summer, and the second was on the Challenger 2 in December. In person, the look is much more visible and pronounced. I’ll see if I can get better photos later today. That damn sun keeps moving across the sky on me. Never will sit still where I need it to do so... :hmm:

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Your work looks amazing. I would like to see more shots of the Kangaroo, too, Carlos. The way you create specific details sets your work apart. Bravo!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

What Kenny said about your painting is so true. Most impressive work Carlos!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:Your work looks amazing. I would like to see more shots of the Kangaroo, too, Carlos. The way you create specific details sets your work apart. Bravo!
Thanks Bruce. I’m just doing a bit of rebuild on the Kangaroo, as well as a much better (and more accurate) paint color. I’ll get more photos up once I’m all done. I need to find the decals that I set aside for it....

Duke Maddog wrote:What Kenny said about your painting is so true. Most impressive work Carlos!
Thank you Mark. It sure does not feel impressive to me. But it looks better today in better light...

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”