Tamiya 1/35 M21 Mortar Carrier

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
lawman56
Advanced Member

Tamiya 1/35 M21 Mortar Carrier

Post by lawman56 »

While I take a break from all the photo etch on the Dragon Sd.Kfz. 250/1, I decided to tackle the Tamiya M-21 Mortar Carrier halftrack. It was give by a friend, under one condition. He wanted me to build it 99% out of the box. I took the challenge, and forgot how easily some kits go together. Only 2 things that will be on this vehicle that didn't come from the box. A small length of chain with hook that will be attached to the winch, and I've decided to replace the crew, as I want to show the vehicle in transit versus in battery. Otherwise it's all OOB.

The ironic thing is that it made me realize how the simplicity of vehicle design contributed to the war effort. The M-21 is essentially a metal rectangle welded together and bolted to a frame, while the 250/1 is a geometrical nightmare! I could easily see the US pumping out 10 halftracks for every 1 the Germans did.

BTW-I built all this in 3 mornings, 2 hours every day, before work. So what you see only took 6 hours! :mrgreen:

There it is. The M-21.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Now I just need to paint and weather it. Of course, that will have to wait, since my guest bathroom shower decided to crack a fitting and soak all the drywall and floor behind it. :rant:
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M21 Mortar Carrier

Post by KSaarni »

Sorry to hear about the water damage... sucks!

But the "speed" build looks as an interesting project!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Thanks Kari. It's part of the joy, (I suppose), of being a home owner :happens:

I have to admit, when he first gave it to me, my mind immediately started whirling as to what kind and how much aftermarket. Then when he challenged me, I felt disappointed. Once I got started, I didn't want to stop! It was kind of relaxing to not have to think, actually. If you look in the background of one of the pics, you can see the on-going 250/1 build.
Joe

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I'm liking this a lot! Those Tamiya half track kits are pretty damn good for their age.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

A good, simple build can be refreshing. I think it can tell you that it isn't your fault! Looking good and sorry about the house.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

The plus side to having a water leak soak the wall, is that by tearing the (now) wet wall out, you can access the plumbing a whole lot easier! Damage wasn't too bad. Soaked up the water, pulled the carpet from the cabinet, (seriously, who carpets a cabinet floor?), and rebuilt the wall. I actually had enough time to put a base coat on the halftrack too!

I also took a bit of sandpaper to the flash seam on the front tires. Something I learned a long time ago. If you sand the seam, not only does it remove the flash, but it gives the tread a "used" look.

Tire on the left has been lightly sanded. Tire on the right is stock.
Joe

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

great news on the house! build is looking good. Agree on sanding tires. I just forget to do that quite often.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Truthfully, Lyle, I usually forget too. I actually started to trim them, then remembered. Ah, the joys of memory something. I forget.
Joe

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ah, now a nice coat of OD... always pleasing to the eye :dogwag: Are you going to add the center grab handles to the jerry cans? Stretched sprue is still OOB :winkgrin: :stirpot:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Possibly, Stik. I'll ask if he's ok with it. He's ok with using a brass rod for an antenna, so I may use a small piece of that for the center handle, instead.

You're right about these vehicles. I checked the sprue, and the vehicle parts were re-tooled in 1995, according to the stamp. The figures are still from 1979, which is another reason I'm opting for a different crew.
Joe

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”