Just had a really good laugh.

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
RexCag
Advanced Member

Re: Just had a really good laugh.

Post by RexCag »

Jim, that WIP that you read is one of the real definitions of "AMS", the other discussion might just be "Rivet Counting"

AMS, or Advanced Modeling Syndrome, is being "so advanced" as a modeler that nothing gets finished (and has been defined by some people as "so skilled that he can not get started")

Rivet Counting is supposed to be the Rude practice of pointing out other people's mistakes on a forum or in public.

Seeking Accuracy in a person's own builds, and actually building things is neither Rivet Counting or AMS, though. EAB might be one way to define those builders, as in Extremely Accurate Building.

So, when I build using the "best" kit I can find, with aftermarket weapons to get the "correct" shape, and add a resin cockpit and photo etched Remove Before Flight tags on an aircraft model with my paints all matched to FS standards according to the Monogram USN Color Guide,,,,,,that is neither AMS or Rivet Counting, it is just "building an accurate model",,,,,,a practice that goes back into the early/mid sixties with the advent of Profile Publications and Arco-Aircam booklets.

As for not finishing a build,,,,I know a modeler that enjoys cockpits a lot, and always gets stuck when it comes time to capture all the parts between the fuselage halves. So, he has a ton of cockpits that he has finished, but, rarely finishes a full model. He has fun doing the parts he does do, though.

I do absolutely agree with that part about each of us not telling anyone else how he or she should enjoy their hobby, though. I don't even believe we *have* to stick to one modeling style with each of our own builds, either, if we don't want to. Accurately build one model, get the next one straight OOB, Super Detail another, and then do what Steve M calls "Snake slapping it together" on the next model,,,,,,,it is all up to us, we shouldn't feel defensive in the least about which way we choose.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Yep, that rivet counting must have started when modelling started. Probably with ship models in bottle. "Argh, your rigging be off on your wee ship, matey!"

As for ams, I have had a bout of that when I was trying to build models for competition. In trying to get everything right I repeated every step once or twice. And I got bogged down in trying to correct corrections. The silly thing was that my modelling skills deteriorated because I did so little. So after wasting half a year to perfectly putty a plane my airbrush skills where gone. Nowadays I just build for fun. And that has a great effect on the quality.
ImageImageImageImageImage
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

BorgR3mc0 wrote: Nowadays I just build for fun. And that has a great effect on the quality.
:drum: Same here!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

mostrich wrote:
BorgR3mc0 wrote: Nowadays I just build for fun. And that has a great effect on the quality.
:drum: Same here!
Me too - although without the quality :drum:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Portman, I've always felt that as long as the finished product pleases the individual who spent the time to put it together; whether that means using all the AM stuff and expensive detailing products or just slapping some glue on it and painting it with generic paint close to the color callouts in the kit, then it was a success. I am happy to share my projects and get feedback from those who appreciate the work I do (even if its not the best out there), I'm not out looking to win any shows with my builds. Be happy with your stuff and $@$^# those who say otherwise.. :ggun:
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

eh, I just try to have fun and improve my skills in the process. If the plane turns out to be "contest quality" then that's cool too.

and if it's not "accurate?" Eh, I'll enter it anyway and have some fun with my fellow nerds :lashed:
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

jelliott523 wrote:Portman, I've always felt that as long as the finished product pleases the individual who spent the time to put it together; whether that means using all the AM stuff and expensive detailing products or just slapping some glue on it and painting it with generic paint close to the color callouts in the kit, then it was a success. I am happy to share my projects and get feedback from those who appreciate the work I do (even if its not the best out there), I'm not out looking to win any shows with my builds. Be happy with your stuff and $@$^# those who say otherwise.. :ggun:
:bow: you hit the nail on the head there and that's pretty much where I am - I build for me and nobody else.

And your work is certainly appriciated - keep it coming! :grin:

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

CallSignOWL wrote:eh, I just try to have fun and improve my skills in the process. If the plane turns out to be "contest quality" then that's cool too.

and if it's not "accurate?" Eh, I'll enter it anyway and have some fun with my fellow nerds :lashed:
I love being a nerd! :dancing:

jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

:lol: my wife told me the other day I was a nerd, I told her that if playing with styrene and resin made me a nerd then so be it!

Return to “Modeling Discussion”