Which acrylic paint do you prefer?

All things paint and/or airbrush related. Help, recommendations, etc.
Proud Marine Dad
Advanced Member

Which acrylic paint do you prefer?

Post by Proud Marine Dad »

Just curious what everyone here likes as far as airbrushing acrylics?
I have used MM Acryl and Tamiya and have stuck with Tamiya although I have not tried the newest formulation of Acryl as it has been years since I used it.
Paul
Addicted Member

Re: Which acrylic paint do you prefer?

Post by Paul »

I use mostly Vallejo but recently I got some real good results with Humbrol. MM is is pretty fair but Tamiya leaves me frustrated.
I hear Gunze has some good stuff but I never see any around here.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

For acrylics, I really liked Gunze aqueous, they had excellent properties: coverage, adhesion, toughness, plus an extensive line with RLM, RAL, BSC, and FS # matches. But due to the same labeling issues as Tamiya, they are no longer available here stateside. I do like Tamiya acrylics, but they are more generic and not matched to most standards. I did like the Polly S and Polly Scale lines, as well as Aeromaster, but they are all gone now. I am not a big fan of Model Master Acrylics, old or new, the new less so. And I have yet to try airbrushing Vallejo. Hand brushing them has not impressed me, and I am no fanboy on their bandwagon.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I have MM acrylics, Tamiya and some Gunze. Those seem to work well for me.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

I use mainly Gunze, then Revell & Tamiya equally, and have some few bottles of Vallejos model air.

And that's about it!

Keen to try those new Mr Paints, but have not found them yet (except on the internet of course)

- Kari
Last edited by KSaarni on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Proud Marine Dad
Advanced Member

Post by Proud Marine Dad »

Thanks guys.
The only hobby shop around me now is 10 miles away so having to drive there for a color I may need is a pain so I am considering online ordering as there are some good deals online.
I saw one seller on eBay with 10 bottles of your choice of colors of Tamiya 10 ml bottles.for $31.95 and free shipping. Not a bad price at all.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

My LHS that stocks Tamiya is 10-15 miles away. You never know what he will have in stock. His paint racks can be somewhat sparse. He is more than willing to order anything you want...I can do that. So, I tend to buy a lot of paint on line.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

For me it's Mr. Hobby Aqueous (Gunze) Acrylics for the Airbrush and the Vallejo Model Color range for detail painting.
Some special colors I need are from other brands, like Tamiya Smoke or AKAN paints for Russian stuff.

I've ordered some Mr. Paint from Slovakia last week. Will do tryouts with them in my holiday.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

mostrich wrote: I've ordered some Mr. Paint from Slovakia last week. Will do tryouts with them in my holiday.
Interesting! What was the delivery costs ? Reasonable ?

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

I live on an island. Trying to order paint through the mail is a PITA. So i just get it from the LHS which until recently was limited to humbrol or tamiya. So ive stuck with tamiya. I recently tried vallejo but it didnt have the hardiness to stand up to the punishment i put my kits through during the painting process.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Return to “Painting/Airbrushing”