The Duke Completes an A7V

Here is the place to show of your finished armor products.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

The Duke Completes an A7V

Post by Duke Maddog »

Here it is everyone. This is the Emhar 1/72 scale German A7V tank from WWI. I painted it up with Model Master enamels and weathered it with Tamiya powders. This beastie is slightly longer than three inches in length. I hope you like it:

I just noticed I need to take another pic of the right side. I've already painted that white gun barrel on that machine gun.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: The Duke Completes an A7V

Post by Thomas_M »

Like it! First I was afraid this would be the desastrous 1/35 scale Tauro kit...

Lovely skull in front! Your weathering and dusting looks coherent to me; with all this artillery firing over the trenches there would have been mud everywhere...
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

kind of an interesting monster, the A7. If my math is correct, 3" in 1/72 would put it at roughly 18 feet. I just can't imagine the terror of seeing a lumbering pillbox on the battlefield.

One of these days I hope to pick up one of those, a Mk IV and possibly a Renault. In 1/35 though.
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments and support.

Don't worry Thomas; I won't ever build a 1/35th scale tank; unless someone pays me to.

Lawman, thanks! That sounds about right, That monster did instill fear on the battlefield, yet I was under the impression that the Mk IVs on the Allied side provoked even more fear among the Germans. It's possible that was because the Allies had a lot more tanks as opposed to the few A7V's on the German side.

I've also got a MkIV Male already built as well as a number of FT-17's. My little WWI army is growing!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That looks great Mark! I agree 100% with Thomas about the weathering- dead on the mark! (no pun intended) :shoutout:
Perhaps you need a family photo of all your WWI armor grouped together? :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Duke, if memory serves correctly, The Mk IVs were more terrifying for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, they were the first tanks to appear in battle. The Central Powers had no way to counter them yet. The Germans, however, being quite resourceful figured out that removing the stops on an artillery piece, allowing it to depress to 0 elevation, they could knock them out. Hence the first tank begets the first anti-tank gun.

Add that to the fact that they were noisy and belching as they lumbered, (machinery on the battlefield was a new concept as well), which scared the horses and that the Brits made it a habit to straddle a trench and spray machine gun fire up both sides, would probably do it! :ggun:
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Lawman, I kinda thought that also contributed to that. Thanks again for the clarification.
Stikpusher wrote:That looks great Mark! I agree 100% with Thomas about the weathering- dead on the mark! (no pun intended) :shoutout:
Perhaps you need a family photo of all your WWI armor grouped together? :hmm:

That could work; especially if I include all my Mack trucks. I'll see what I can do.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Completed Builds: Armor”