Time to get that mojo back...

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Time to get that mojo back...

Post by Gary Brantley »

I don't know what happened. I just stopped working on models for a while. I can think of several reasons for the lapse; too much clutter to deal with in my study, frustration with my skills, too many other interests going and probably more really. My Tamiya Skyray was the last 'plane finished (around August '15) and it had already languished for more than two years since its start. I still have three kits in various stages. One of them is hopelessly bogged down (AMT MiG-27) with my attempt to integrate an Eduard interior with kit parts. :bang:

But all through this model building slump I've stayed interested, reading forums, researching online and yes, buying more kits. :whistle: Why, even last week on a trip to Austin for a concert and over-night stay, I stopped in at Austin's great Kings Hobby shop and picked up three from their very nice consignment section. Heck, I've given up keeping count of kits in the stash, knowing full well I won't live long enough to build a fourth of them at my glacial pace.

Last week, I also made a commitment of sorts. I bought a new work bench from Harbor Freight to replace a "tete-a-tete" seat that had originally been sold as outdoor furniture. The new bench is very nice and I don't plan to really build on it but use it for other sundry purposes. It takes up a lot less room that its predecessor and really improves the looks of the room. That inspired me to clear out more crap; and that inspired me to get my butt to work on one of the kits in progress (Revell A6-E, begun in July 2013)). Now, I'm planning on a major reorganization of my actual work table. See? It's like a snowball rolling down hill! That has led to a new surge in model work. I'm now retired and while I still have lot's of other interests like guns and hunting, working on my farm/ranch, "Brokenoak" and certainly spending massive amounts of time with my three grandchildren, I can see a way to work it all in.

I'd like to keep most of my builds really simple for a while and resist the urge to scratch-build and detail stuff. I'm a slow builder as it is and that really slows things down. I'm not that good at it anyway, and very few people ever see my models or would even notice any extras. At almost 64, I can sense that sand running through that hourglass faster and faster. I'd like to finish as many as can now, at whatever level I can pull off!

With that in mind, one of my consignment buys was the old Hobbycraft La-7. It was only $5 and not much of a kit really but it should be a quick build (I know, I know... :wink:) with a real simple paint job and a closed canopy. I think I'll build it next, hoping it will kick that ol' mojo into high gear. My display cabinets will be crowded again with many more finished kits but that's okay too. Oh btw, the other two consignment kits were the 1/48 Monogram Heinkel He-111 (with the torpedoes) and the 1/48 Revell F/A-18E Super Hornet. Man, both of those are nice! But loaded with parts; not what I need right now but I'm sure I'll build them later...yeah, later. :grin:

So, to bring this diatribe to a finish, please wish me success in keeping the momentum going! I'm sure most of you have "been here" before and got over your slump. Finishing a model brings us all great satisfaction and it feels good to me to be back behind the table working. When I get that table organized, I'll post some pics of it and the Harbor Freight bench. Wish me luck my friendly friends!!
Gary
Stikpusher

Re: Time to get that mojo back...

Post by Stikpusher »

:clockwatch: :bored: :popcorn: :whistle:

Eagerly awaiting more of your work my friend. I had a case of the modeling doldrums for the first half of the year myself. Now it's no more GBs for me, and only one project at a time. That seems to focus my energy better and keep it all flowing.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

I wish you success and luck!

I'm sure we've all "been there". I went through two solid years of zero interest...the thought of building a model didn't even cross my mind. Came back, with a vengeance though! What amazes me though...is that each time I came back, some how I had improved. Maybe it was just that I had a little more patience and/or more attention to detail...I dunno...weird!
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Congrats on getting the MOJO back,any shots of the c revamped work area.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Explanation read and registered. Now go and build something! :grin:
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

mostrich wrote:Explanation read and registered. Now go and build something! :grin:
:that: ....and post pics!!!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Fermis wrote:
mostrich wrote:Explanation read and registered. Now go and build something! :grin:
:that: ....and post pics!!!
:that: :clockwatch: :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thanks gents. Okay, okay, pics forthcoming. I spent most of the afternoon building a little tool stand/rack. Oh my. :poo: If I had some good woodworking tools, I might not be such a wood butcher. Nah, that probably wouldn't make much difference. It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools. :wink:

Hijole! An old tinner I used to work with had an expression that fits, "it looks like a bear's *ss sewed up with a grapevine". After I get a little poly on it, I'll be rearranging the work table for the first time in 26 years! I'll get some pics to show off my work, lol. Hey, Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Enjoy a good meal and undo the top button on your pants. That will give ya a tad more room for pie. I like pie; all fat kids do! :grin:
Gary
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Hmmff...who buttons the top button anyway?!!!
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Fermis wrote:Hmmff...who buttons the top button anyway?!!!
Dude, I like your style! Just keep on abiding. :grin:

I've got some cut-offs that must've shrunk somehow. I gotta leave that top button off. Maybe something in the water... :lol:
Gary

Return to “Modeling Discussion”