Stikpusher's GAABSA Builds -2nd Completed

Stikpusher

Stikpusher's GAABSA Builds -2nd Completed

Post by Stikpusher »

Well here we go. I went out and bought the Dragon M55 Quad .50 gun yesterday, and today I started it as the "new purchase" build for this GB. I just can't get the motivation up to get restarted on my Weasel, so I figured that a smaller kit will get the mojo flowing again.

Anyways I finished step 1 in about 40 minutes at the bench just now (after cleaning things there up a bit). This is typical Dragon, with lots of tiny beautifully detailed parts. Not shake and bake by any means, but not intimidating either.

Step 1 builds the ammo cans, wheels, support legs, battery, and motor. Now the motor is about 1/2" (12.7mm) in size and has lots of fiddly bits...

Like I said over on the "latest acquisitions" thread, I am building this in tribute to my dad, who crewed on these in Germany in the mid 1950s.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Stikpusher's GAABSA Builds

Post by Stuart »

This'll be a really interesting project to watch stik - It's great that you can build a model of something you can actually tie to a photo with your dad.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Stuart. This should be a good quick build. And I do like the family ties in it.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

More progress!!! :yahoo: What a concept... :hmm:

Step 2 done, the turret base built, minus the PE slip ring for the underside. Not enough time before work to tackle that and any possible speed bumps...

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Good start Stik! :ggun:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Stuart. I think after I get the PE on later, the hardest parts of assembly are behind me... :hmm:

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Looking great Carlos! It feels great to get something done doesn't it? Also, thanks for posting this; I'd forgotten that I had also started a GAABSA thread until I saw the title of this one! I just updated mine with a couple weeks worth of work.

Looking forward to seeing more...
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mark. Yes it feels damn good to be rolling forward again. I got the PE ring glued on yesterday, and started on the gun mounts as well. But only one of four yesterday. This is typical Dragon. Why mold it in one piece when we can do it in three :hmm: or five! :headslap: Yes it makes for better detail, but... :bored:

I think tomorrow will see some major progress.

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:This is typical Dragon. Why mold it in one piece when we can do it in three :hmm: or five! :headslap: Yes it makes for better detail, but... :bored:
Sounds like Modelcollect as well. Must be a Chinese modeler thing......

Looking forward to seeing the new progress.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well here is the PE ring glued onto the base of the turret

then it was time to build the gun mounts and guns... very nice .50s with hollow molded bores... saved me a step of drilling them out...

FLSM

Return to “Go Ahead You Styreniac, Build Something...Already”