Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon

jkim
Elite Member

Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! Those reference pics are awesome Bruce! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once this build gets going so hopefully some of you will be able to help me out. I'm planning on building the Force Awakens version of the Falcon since I'm not up to doing the necessary mods for the Falcon from the older movies. The round dish will simply be an interchangeable option.
Stikpusher wrote:You may want to look into lining certain portions of the interior with foil or something similar to eliminate light bleed thru of gaps or thru the plastic. But this looks to have some serious potential for awesomeness!
That and other thoughts after I purchased the lighting kit were the cause of my loss of mojo. Some pre-planning needed to be done in terms of the lighting and I really didn't know where to start. Before the kit got put on the shelf, I did one thing construction-wise that I can share.

Prior to starting, I referenced a few other Bandai Falcon builds. I would not have noticed this were it not for those builders. The ridge of raised details on the cockpit tube... notice the level of detail and how the features stand noticeably higher than the surface of the tube.

The ridge on the Falcon is less busy and does not stick out like the kit.

So I used a razor saw and carefully cut the ridge off.

This ridge can now be set lower so as not to protrude from the surface.

The piece is not glued into place because I wasn't sure if I needed wiring access to the cockpit tube. Not a perfect fix but I think it looks better.
Last edited by jkim on Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Congrats to this clean cut, surgeon. I'd never had noticed it for myself, but now with the modified part on my screen I have to admit that it really improves that part of the model. Good find!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You're good... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow. Nice kit. I don't think I'd have the patience to do the lighting though. But the weathering options are endless!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

BEAUTIFUL WORK, JOHN!!!

I am so excited to watch your progress on this kit - when the time comes post Dora!! I saw a fella offering a Cloud City display base and thought... "hmmmmmm."

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Now you got me thinking, "hmmmmmm"! Is that a Shapeways base? I have not opened the Falcon box since starting on the Dora but hopefully, the Force will drum up some motivation to start on it again.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You can never top the original Ralph McQuarrie vision of that...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

John! Yes, the maker is 308 Bits on Shapeways. I'm seriously thinking about this one:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ATE99 ... arketplace

Carlos! Such a beautiful painting by McQuarrie!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017”