MPC 1/48 Incom T-65 X-Wing. “Blue One.”

speedgraflex

MPC 1/48 Incom T-65 X-Wing. “Blue One.”

Post by speedgraflex »

The kit.

The AM.

This beauty is a custom designed mech to open and close the wings. Not only that; it is possible to motorize the wings, and the design corrects the camber of the X, which has always been a problem with MPC kits and shared by the studio models. Most of the studio armatures have failed to maintain shape to a great degree, in some cases, the sag is so pronounced the X-Wing looks melted.

Here is what Red 3 looks like—a before and after shot showing what has happened to the armature after 30 years:

Since the design I am using is a custom made one, and the finished product will be an X-Wing used onscreen for a Star Wars fan film, I will be aiming for stability as well as durability. The blue and white wiring harness is in place for lighting the engines.
I wil have much more to add about the development of this kit, and information about its designer, Jeff Parrish, as the section of the wing construction begins. Right now I am filling in the openings for the stand and sealing up the landing gear doors.

Last edited by speedgraflex on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Re: MPC 1/48 X-Wing [Blue One].

Post by Stikpusher »

Blue One? Wasn't that the General?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Blue One? Wasn't that the General?
You know, you're good, Carlos! Yes. Absolutely right. General Antoc Merrick, KIA Battle of Scarif.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The original trilogy and Rogue One... :yipee: the other four... :hmm: George did not have the same touch as before and I am no JJ Abrams fan...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:The original trilogy and Rogue One... :yipee: the other four... :hmm: George did not have the same touch as before and I am no JJ Abrams fan...
Oh, I agree with you, Carlos about the original trilogy, and to my mind Rogue One is one of the greatest, most expensive fan films ever made, which makes it rank higher than the prequels. Mr. Abrams's strengths are in producing television shows, and he certainly knows how to cast a movie. His pilot episode for LOST would have been an amazing movie; and SUPER 8 remains a favorite of mine for its hefty dosage of nostalgia as well as Elle Fanning's performance as a little girl lost in an adult's world. However, what happened to STAR TREK, your namesake in particular, remains completely baffling to me. I understand more clearly why THE FORCE AWAKENS is a remake of the original STAR WARS, but I am at a loss to describe what happened to STAR TREK—so...
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Wow... this is really cool! Feel very privileged to see that custom motor incorporated into this build. You will have to embed some video now! Can you tell us a little about the kit itself? I remember building an X-wing model by MPC, along with Darth's TIE, when I was younger. It was this boxing...

Same kit?
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Of course, John! Thanks so much for your questions. I will start with the sprue shots, which I made earlier today:

Tooling stamp
Sprues / Gray Plastic
Butt plate detail
Sprues / Clear Plastic
Last edited by speedgraflex on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:
Stikpusher wrote:Blue One? Wasn't that the General?
You know, you're good, Carlos! Yes. Absolutely right. General Antoc Merrick, KIA Battle of Scarif.

:popcorn:

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

This is going to be awesome!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thank for those sprue shots. ERTL 1989.....hmmm. My guess is that the MPC kit that I built was a different mold. I bought it within a couple years of Star Wars' theatrical release of 1977.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017”