MPC 1/48 Incom T-65 X-Wing. “Blue One.”

speedgraflex

Re: MPC 1/48 X-Wing [Blue One].

Post by speedgraflex »

I am so excited, Stuart. John, I don't know, maybe it is the same kit, look at the butt plate in the video; looks the same! I know the source material was one of the pyro birds (ones fitted with charges to explode). ILM made a lot of pyro parts so these were ready available as reference for tooling.

Here is a screen used MPC model from ESB:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jkim wrote:Thank for those sprue shots. ERTL 1989.....hmmm. My guess is that the MPC kit that I built was a different mold. I bought it within a couple years of Star Wars' theatrical release of 1977.

ERTL took over the MPC molds. I don't know exactly what year that happened though.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:
speedgraflex wrote: You know, you're good, Carlos! Yes. Absolutely right. General Antoc Merrick, KIA Battle of Scarif.

:popcorn:

That's the exact place I got to in the film before I had to turn it off this evening - So he dies does he? lol!

Even more so looking forward to this build now I know a bit of the back story.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:I am so excited, Stuart. John, I don't know, maybe it is the same kit, look at the butt plate in the video; looks the same! I know the source material was one of the pyro birds (ones fitted with charges to explode). ILM made a lot of pyro parts so these were ready available as reference for tooling.

Here is a screen used MPC model from ESB:
That was sweet! So ILM took a shortcut and bought the old MPC kit? I remember that the Star Trek crew used to do that on occasion for the original series. If the needed a battle damaged ship, they could buy a kit, build it beat up, then film it for whatever episode.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

portman wrote:

:popcorn:

That's the exact place I got to in the film before I had to turn it off this evening - So he dies does he? lol!

Even more so looking forward to this build now I know a bit of the back story.[/quote]

Sorry for the spoiler... :headslap:

Let's just put it this way... the guy who made Rogue One did not monkey with Star Wars canon... like Jar Jar Abrams. If you see them or don't see them here or in the original trilogy, there is a logical reason...

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

"The paint used as the base color on all X-wings, Y-wings and the MF in ANH was Krylon Platinum Gray. It is not the same Platinum Gray available today, which is much darker. The closest match to what Krylon made in 1976 is Testors Camouflage Gray, though it is a bit on the pink side."

"The question of Floquil also comes up. I know they used both Concrete (to delineate panels) and Caboose Red (wing markings). This red is actually just 'primary red', so not having the Floquil on hand is not a problem as any primary red will do. The blue used was a Pactra color (Sea Blue, if I recall correctly). It isn't available, but a 95% match is Tamiya Medium Blue (XF 18)."

- quoting Scott Alexander aka "Captain Cardboard," June 11, 2005, RPF

I know Scott well, having built a few of his 2001: A S O kits, so I am leaving this quote here from him.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Excellent information Bruce! Now I have a good reference starting point for colors. Using Kryln spray cans makes sense. Especially on the size of some of those studio models. I remember in 1976 that the paints out there in 1976/1977 were quite different from today. Testors square bottle enamels (no Model Master), Floquil enamels and Polly S acrylics, Humbrol enamels, and Pactra. What yellow did ILM use? How about colors on Imperial ships?

FLSM
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

How is the cockpit on this kit? The one I had was with a half modeled in "monkey man" but I am not sure if it is the same kit.
ImageImageImageImageImage
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:How is the cockpit on this kit? The one I had was with a half modeled in "monkey man" but I am not sure if it is the same kit.
Image removed.

Good Question. The cockpit is not accurate at all. Not even close. I will probably scratch build something close enough based on the studio scale cockpit tub.

Image removed.
Last edited by speedgraflex on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Excellent information Bruce! Now I have a good reference starting point for colors. Using Kryln spray cans makes sense. Especially on the size of some of those studio models. I remember in 1976 that the paints out there in 1976/1977 were quite different from today. Testors square bottle enamels (no Model Master), Floquil enamels and Polly S acrylics, Humbrol enamels, and Pactra. What yellow did ILM use? How about colors on Imperial ships?
Ah, the yellow? Are you making a Y-Wing? I have a lot of high resolution photos of Red Jammer from ANH. I do not know which specific brand was used. Scott said, "Floquils," but I am not sure which ones he specific colors he meant for yellow.

T.I.E. FIGHTERS / INTERCEPTORS.

Tamiya Haze Grey is supposed to be the closest color match to the scanned studio scale model that is currently available. In fact, if you ask Lord Google to Image Search "Tamiya Haze Grey," a lot of nice looking T.I.E. fighter works in progress will pop up.

Again, I do not want to do too much linking, but...http://www.keeperoftheforce.com/viewtop ... 099#p12991

What I do understand from the Star Wars experts is the dark gray used was "Pactra Hot Rod Primer" as a base. Tamiya XF-63 German Gray is the closest equivalent.

STAR DESTROYERS.

I do not know yet, but I hope to find out soon, so I will leave this as a place holder for now!
Last edited by speedgraflex on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017”