Cue the Imperial March...

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Cue the Imperial March...

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos. I got the idea from someone else so I cannot take full credit. I do like having it all in a bottle like that so I can use it multiple times without having to mix it beforehand and it stays viable in the bottle as long as I need it.
Last edited by Duke Maddog on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

After some trying days this past week, I finally was able to continue some experiments with my Star Destroyer to see what was the best way to bring out all that detail the most. First I shot a coat of Camouflage Grey over the whole thing:

My first experiment involved Promodeler Wash. I slathered it on thick like it suggested:

Later I wiped it off with a damp paper towel. It didn't turn out the way I expected it to so I played around with the Promodeler wash and camouflage grey drybrushing until I got this result on the bottom:

Pics don't show this to good effect here but I'm quite happy with this result.

Well, that's the latest update on my progress so far. I'm glad to finally see some of these move forward. I just wish I could get some of these done faster. I'll keep working on them. Meanwhile, comments are welcome, thanks for looking in.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking good Mark. That promodeler wash is so easy to use. If it doesn’t come out as wanted the first time, a second attempt takes very little time and no real preparation. Great stuff!!!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Oh yeah! I now have to do the top. This one is very close to being done.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Nice one Duke!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Borg!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Cue the Imperial March...COMPLETED!

Post by Duke Maddog »

After several months of working on this along with several other models, I have finally finished my Star Destroyer to my satisfaction. I painted it with Testor's Model Master Camouflage Grey overall and then gave it a Promodeler wash to bring out the details. Afterward I dry-brushed the whole model again with the Testor's Model Master Camouflage Grey to enhance the contrast again. I'm quite pleased with the results. She is now launched from the Kuat Shipyards:

The pics don't really pic up the detail too well. This does look better in person. It feels great to get this finished.

Bruce, maybe you can do some of your photo magic with this beastie and put it on a starfield near a shipyard or planet or something.... :bye:

Thanks for looking in everyone, comments are welcome.

Now to get my badge! :dancing:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Nice! I hope that you can bring it to IPMS in November when I'll be back at meetings again... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

As you wish... this is a rough draft. Send me the original photos. I need more pixels to work with, sir. I need pixels to cut in order to make the masks and wrappers work right! You have my email. Use "We Transfer." Send to me and I'll do a space battle, too... or maybe that great opening shot from Empire...

Congratulations, sir!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

That looks very good. Such a large and mono colour model is hard to photograph. Good idea to use a sheet for a uniform background.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017”