Cue the Imperial March...

LyleW
Admin

Re: Cue the Imperial March...

Post by LyleW »

One would think that they had some advanced manufacturing processes. The size of these things are outlandish when compared to human sizes, the fighters, etc. Wonder what the build time on the Death Star was?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

LyleW wrote:One would think that they had some advanced manufacturing processes. The size of these things are outlandish when compared to human sizes, the fighters, etc. Wonder what the build time on the Death Star was?
Good questions and points made, Lyle! It took the Empire 17 years to build the first Death Star, which is about the same time it took Egypt to build the Great Pyramids. You are definitely right about using manpower, and materials have to come from somewhere. The 3 year build time of the second Death Star was a tougher to swallow, but DS2 was incomplete, and lacking drive engines (engines always struck me as being amazing for an object the size of the moon).
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

speedgraflex wrote:Image

As you wish... this is a rough draft. Send me the original photos. I need more pixels to work with, sir. I need pixels to cut in order to make the masks and wrappers work right! You have my email. Use "We Transfer." Send to me and I'll do a space battle, too... or maybe that great opening shot from Empire...

Congratulations, sir!

Thanks Bruce! I have to see if I still have the originals somewhere. I'll get them sent off soon. This one does look pretty good so far! I do like the idea of a space battle too!

Thanks Lyle. I do like trying to make a good solid background for my pics.

Good points about the construction of the Death Stars one and two. Some explanations for the reduced build time on DS two would be:

1) It was unfinished. Quite a bit was still open to space.

2) They started it sometime after DS one was almost completed and had started workups.

3) After having built DS one, they probably found many ways to streamline the construction to make it happen much faster.

Great comments once again guys! Thanks for the fantastic conversation.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017”