Bandai 1/12 Stormtrooper

BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: Bandai 1/12 Stormtrooper

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

mostrich wrote:I'm glad you opted for the battle worn trooper at the end, John. It' s so hard to prevent a super clean model or figure from looking like a toy. Looking forward to the coming steps.

:that:

Especially in the SW universe where everything gets streaked, dinged and chiped.
ImageImageImageImageImage
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! Movie model subjects are a dilemma since the "real" things are fake too. Some of the appurtenances and doodads on the Stormtrooper look a bit simplified and non-functional but I assume they are accurate to the Star Wars costumes so I didn't try to modify them. The weathering on my Stormtrooper doesn't match anything that you would see in the movies but it's just my interpretation.

Anywho... I utilized the momentum that I had started with the completion of the torso by doing the legs. To differentiate between the right and left, I scribed parts numbers in hidden areas of the mirrored parts. The parts are stuck onto cocktail sticks for painting.

All of the parts are primed using Mr Surfacer 1000 and then the white components are sprayed with Tamiya White. The interior joints and shoe soles are painted black. I impart some wear and tear on the legs by buffing them with Micromesh until the primer starts showing through. The legs are then given a liquid pastel wash of dark grey to highlight the raised details. The legs are finalized with a coat of clear satin (Tamiya Clear Flat + Alclad Aqua Gloss).

I forgot to paint the left knee cap part but this photo is a good comparison between the kit part and the painted parts.
Last edited by jkim on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Boy howdy, that is a lot of small pieces-parts. I like the instructions - not sure I've see them before that show the parts and not line drawings.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

" The weathering on my Stormtrooper doesn't match anything that you would see in the movies but it's just my interpretation."

There are thousands of planets in the Star Wars universe. Who's to say your version of weathering isn't native to one of them?

Excellent work on the trooper man, this is looking more and more amazing with each update.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

:that:

I would associate this level of weathering with the ANH Trooper who shot Leia, or any member of Vader’s Tantive IV boarding party.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yeah, but if they wore the helmet upside down....

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Turn that frown upside down... hee hee. I was wondering if someone built the corridor from the ship as a display....

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

That's a cool setting for sure! Scratchbuilt, I assume?

My Trooper is just about at the finish line so here's the final construction update. The arms have been completed. The same pattern of weathering has been used throughout. The white parts are first primed with Mr Surfacer 1000 and then painted gloss white. I use Micromesh to wear down the white to show the grey primer underneath to simulate wear. I've also used a dark pastel wash to highlight the details.

After the completion of the arms, I painted all of the various hands and other small details (mainly the utility belt). Here are all of the parts laid prior to assembly.

I choose a combination of hands to attach to the arms.

But the legs are popped in first. The ball joints seat with a satisfying click.

Close-up of the torso area where most of the detail occurs. As a subtle contrast, I've left the inside and edges of the white armor in primer grey. It helps to break up the monotony of the uniform whiteness of the Trooper.

The final step is to attach the arms. Voila... the Bandai Stormtrooper is complete!

It's a cool little figure that can make some realistic poses.

When I have time, I'll try and set up some better photos with the good camera.

Posing with the BIG gun!
Last edited by jkim on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

CONGRATULATIONS FOR COMPLETING THE STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017, JOHN KIM!

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Now that is a winner, John! Very convincing weathering, not like he'd worked on a farm for months, but a pretty used look.

I gave mine away as a birthday present, but it'll find its way back in my stash for sure.

Bruce, where did you find those appetizing pics of the scratch build corridor? So tempting...

Return to “STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017”