Incident at the only LHS in my area....

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Incident at the only LHS in my area....

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Discount Hobby who is the ONLY surviving LHS in my area has lost a customer in me for good today. I have mentioned this shop has basically the same old stuff except recently as this past spring, they started carrying Tamiya paints. I have gone there the last 2-3 years giving him the business for kits and paints. Until about a year and a half ago, the owner's daughter stays there with her father to help out. Keep in mind, she is always suspicious of any customers coming in to shop. I've got to getting used to her presence everytime I go there. "Can I help you with something?", "Are you looking for something in particular?", etc... I usually tell her I'm good just looking around. She knows I come there all the time if I need something. The owner, her father isn't a bad guy. He knows I stop in often. You can say I'm a regular customer until today...

Today during my lunch hour, I decided to stop by to pick up some paint if he had what it in acrylics. I decided to hold off for another day and walked out the door with my hand in my pocket (I had a post-it note of a list of paint I'm looking for). As I stepped out the door, I hear the daughter "Sir... sir....??" I turned and inquired of a problem . She asked to empty my pockets because she thought I walked out stealing a bottle of paint. I showed emptied my pockets revealing nothing but the post-it note. She told me she was sorry because "I seemed suspicious" I was insulted at the accusation and let her know that she sees me and knows who I am by face that I have been a good customer there. I also told her you've just lost a customer and I was never coming back again.

Bottom line, after that insulting incident, and the shop barely getting any customers with zero new stuff added, a paranoid daughter of the owner constantly watching everyone with suspicion, it's not worth the stress, gas and miles to stop there anymore.

Okay, rant over... :bored:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Incident at the only LHS in my area....

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I do actually feel sorry for the owner due to his daughter's assumption that I was shoplifting.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

Sounds like he should banish his daughter from the shop if he wants to remain in business. Hobby shops are a dying breed and she is helping their demise.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I agree. I just feel bad for the guy even though he’s probably in his mid 70s.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Sorry to hear about this incident, Blacksheep. The owner's daughter is clearly in the wrong and making bad decisions. She should never have judged you the way she did. You did well letting her know that she has lost a customer. This is the kind of story that makes me worry about the future of the hobby. The changes brought about by the internet have really left a deep mark in all of our lives. I wish you the best.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Okay, now that we are among friends here: Where did you hide the paint? :lashed: :giggles:

But seriously: That is the answer of the question how to kill your business in a few weeks time. So stupid.
We have a store here in Germany, that still tries to compete with the almighty web by doing things that you can't do digital: they invite stars of the scene to show their skills live, provide workshops and Q'n'A hours. That's how you get the people IN to your shop and not OUT of it.

:Beaver:
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

“We have a store here in Germany, that still tries to compete with the almighty web by doing things that you can't do digital: they invite stars of the scene to show their skills live, provide workshops and Q'n'A hours. That's how you get the people IN to your shop and not OUT of it.”

Time to move overseas! In 2015 when I started building models again, I contacted a local games workshop in my area twice by email asking if they would advise me regarding education in hobby techniques and I never heard back, then I called, left a message and never heard back. What may be ironic was drawing the line at driving to the store itself. Perhaps. However, I feel the eroding of physical interpersonal relationships by internet and cell phone tech has changed how we interface with more than just hobby stores.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

On the flip side, i went into my LHS yesterday and asked about a specific kit. Half an hour later i know the kit has been discontinued with their supplier and i walk out with another kit and a whole hell of a lot more knowledge than i had walking in.
Helpful staff, good selection, good prices. Those are 3 qualities that will get people in your store. Anything more provided is just gravy on top.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

speedgraflex wrote:“We have a store here in Germany, that still tries to compete with the almighty web by doing things that you can't do digital: they invite stars of the scene to show their skills live, provide workshops and Q'n'A hours. That's how you get the people IN to your shop and not OUT of it.”

Time to move overseas! In 2015 when I started building models again, I contacted a local games workshop in my area twice by email asking if they would advise me regarding education in hobby techniques and I never heard back, then I called, left a message and never heard back. What may be ironic was drawing the line at driving to the store itself. Perhaps. However, I feel the eroding of physical interpersonal relationships by internet and cell phone tech has changed how we interface with more than just hobby stores.

There-in lies your mistake: you contacted a Games Workshop store. They care nothing for anyone who does not buy their gaming pieces. Instead, you should have contacted Pegasus Hobbies in Montclair; Military Hobbies in Orange (the best in getting help for hobby related techniques and such... unless Bruce is there. LOL!) or even Brookhurst if you talk to the right person. The best solution for getting any kind of hobby techniques is to attend and/or join a local hobby club. I'm a bit biased when I say that IPMS Orange County is the best for learning new things; and my experience with the St. Crispin's Irregulars is also a bonus gold mine for learning new things while building. So Cal AMPS is another great club, but they focus on armor so if you're not looking for armor techniques, they can't help as much as IPMS.

There are other clubs which are in the area and other Hobby Shops as well, but the ones I mentioned here are the best in So Cal for what you're looking to do.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Duke, you’re lucky to have such Model clubs in SoCal. We have no such club in my area.

Return to “Free Discussion”