Meng World War Toons Sherman Tank

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Re: Meng World War Toons Sherman Tank

Post by Scruffy »

So, moving on with this I ran into a small problem :headslap: I had some of the small parts in clamps to hold them for painting, and apparently one of the pins that held real idler wheel on sprang out and ......well....I needed another one (didn't even bother look too much for the lost one, no idea when it launched itself or what direction it went). So, I had some brass tube that fit the axel and some plastic tube that would fit the hole in the wheel, so they were superglued together and cut to fit inside the wheel,

I used two part mold putty to take an impression of the head on the remaining part so a new one could be cast in resin,

and hopefully now back on track

Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Got this one pretty much finished up, might make a little base for it to sit on though.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Scruffy! What a great save for the idler wheel! Two part resin with a mold? You make it look so easy and the result looks amazing! You’re almost done!! What are your base ideas?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

:tank: WOW. I didnt know MENG had one also. I was in LHS in Singapore last month and saw a hole rack display of Toon tanks, but they were all Hasegawa.
Monty / dmminiatures
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

speedgraflex wrote:Scruffy! What a great save for the idler wheel! Two part resin with a mold? You make it look so easy and the result looks amazing! You’re almost done!! What are your base ideas?
Thank you Bruce! Making the replacement part was really "that" easy; the two part putty is kneaded together 50/50 until it is a uniform color, press the head of the good part into it to get an impression, and then let the putty set up. I think it takes a coupe hours to set up, I did it before leaving for work, and when I cam home mixed the resin, again 50/50 put a drop in the impression and then just wait a few minutes for it to kick off.
For the base, it is going to be very simple, just some ground work with a couple bushes I picked up at Hobby Lobby.
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

dmminiatures wrote::tank: WOW. I didnt know MENG had one also. I was in LHS in Singapore last month and saw a hole rack display of Toon tanks, but they were all Hasegawa.
Hi Monty, MENG has the Sherman, a Tiger I and a Soviet KV 2 with the tall turret. It was a fun little kit, and not one I would normally consider building, but it was fun and looks cool. If I can find the KV I might build one of those some time too.

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”