Tamiya 1/35 Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stuart
Elite Member

Tamiya 1/35 Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G

Post by Stuart »

Hi All,

Well here goes - after years of wanting to have a go - my first ever attempt at a 1/35 Armor build! And for it I'll be tackling this classic Tamiya kit from the 1970's (I think).

Hopefully a good choice - it should allow me to get my head around the process of building a tank (woohoo!!!!!) and let me progress onto some larger ones soon. However I think the detail on this is pretty cool.

This one comes with a few figures that look pretty well detailed. I've NEVER painted large scale figures before but I'm going to give at least one or two a go - I have an idea for a conversion on one that would look good if I can pull it off - well see. I want to have one sitting on the rear deck. I also think it might be fun to have one of the MP-40 on the turret roof next to the top hatch, with a few of the bits from the figures as well, such as the packs.

Anyway - this is what's in the box.

And I've glued my first couple of bits - the mounts for the Drive sprockets. Funny parts actually, the fit isn't perfect but should be OK after the sprocket is fitted. I think they designed to cover up the motor drives.

I think I'll need to fill those gaps etc. where the switches were fitted. :hmm:

Well onwards and upwards - this should go together quite quickly I think. I'm looking forward to it - I already love the fact there is no interior (or clear parts!!!!!).

Cheers!
Last edited by Stuart on Tue May 15, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G

Post by Stikpusher »

You’re off to a fine start Stuart. And you are quite correct in that any fit issues or gaps in the lower hull is due to motorization of the original kit...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Subscribed!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Also you mentioned a seated figure—this looks good!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the great photos Gents - those are really useful.
Stikpusher wrote:You’re off to a fine start Stuart. And you are quite correct in that any fit issues or gaps in the lower hull is due to motorization of the original kit...
I thought so. Those inserts weren't the best fitting. Annoyingly even though I fiddled with them a bit to get what I thought was the best fit and the least :quotes: gappage :quotes: around them, it wasn't until this morning that I realised that the axles for the drive sprockets don't line up :headslap: No matter - I'll remember it the next time, that's why I wanted to build this as first go - to learn the process.

My son woke up early this morning so I had a little time. I blanked off the holes in the underside with scrap evergreen and attached a few of the parts. I've left off the majority of the small parts until after I've tidied up the seems and removed all the filler from the bottom.

Hey Bruce - something like that, but I was thinking of somebody sitting on the rear deck with the MG - we'll see. Back in the days when I used to play Warhammer I got quite good at converting figures... Painting them however is another story :whiteflag:

Cheers!

Stuart

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

This is such a great subject and the kit is well regarded, too. I may have missed a tank related discussion in the “Acquisitions” section as well, Stuart, but I am excited for you. Stay motivated, and best of luck. Ah, Warhammer—I helped a friend photograph entire kingdoms and legions for a sale last year... so much careful detail, and the creation of an entire history—fantastic work, really of imagination. I think your brush work is great so no worries, and thanks to your great sprue shots I can clearly see how much fun the figures will be!! Do all of them.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote:This is such a great subject and the kit is well regarded, too. I may have missed a tank related discussion in the “Acquisitions” section as well, Stuart, but I am excited for you. Stay motivated, and best of luck. Ah, Warhammer—I helped a friend photograph entire kingdoms and legions for a sale last year... so much careful detail, and the creation of an entire history—fantastic work, really of imagination. I think your brush work is great so no worries, and thanks to your great sprue shots I can clearly see how much fun the figures will be!! Do all of them.
Thanks Bruce - I'll certainly have a go with them all - nothing to loose really. I've fancied figure painting for a while so it'll be fun to try.

Ah - the wonderful world of Warhammer! I'd love to build some of their stuff but the kits are too blooming expensive!

And now for a boring update....

We have filler!

And a drilled out exhaust!

ImageI

Exciting isn't it!!!

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Actually, yes, this is exciting because I think what you are doing is addressing problem areas, and that is the part usually skipped over in articles. I would say most of the time this is skipped over! So, yes.

There’s a famous story that when I heard it was attributed to Arthur Conan Doyle but I have not directly confirmed this, however it is a darn good story made more interesting because it could be Arthur Conan Doyle. So here goes. Doyle is writing a weekly serial so each week he ups the stakes with more bad guys, weapons and traps. Each week things are getting worse and worse for his hero until finally he is fifty feet down a well, the sides are smooth, there are dogs and bad guys up top ready to attack... and tune in next week. So, after seven days of anticipation to find out how the hero planned his escape, the reader glances at the first line... which begins:

“After I got out of the well...”

So! Please show any and all steps, traps, snares, mishaps, bad guys, ninjas, trolls, elves, what have you and be at ease... readers love that stuff.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You’re doing all your supposed to do in order to make this a better build. Keep it up!

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”